First post - I need some suggestions, hope this isn't too convoluted.
I have plumbing questions, but I'll explain my setup first.
I purchased my home with an existing in-ground pool/spa in Oct 2015.
Pool is plaster, about 23,500 gallons.
It has Pentair pumps, filter, heater and a Polaris blower for the spa.
I had to replace the filter pump in Jan 2016, because the bearings failed.
Home warranty with a new house is a good thing! So I upgraded to an IntelliFlo VS for about $200.
The controller is Polaris EOS unit. The SWG cell has died and is no longer made, so has the Spa remote.
Rather than buy the Comm board for the IntelliFlo, I am replacing the EOS with an Easytouch-8 with IC40.
Home warranty is covering about 1/2 so that makes it a no brainer.
I have to adjust the plumbing to fit the new IC40, and here are my questions:
The suction lines into both pumps are 2.5". The output to Spa and Waterfall are 2.5".
The main filter lines are 2" out of the pump, to the filter and then the heater.
(I can't add pics yet)
Out of the heater in 2" it goes to a 3-way valve, with one side to the Spa in 2.5" and the other side to the Salt cell and pool return in 2".
The valve never completely closes off the spa, so in normal "pool" mode, the return is going to both.
(I can't add pics yet)
The previous owner told me the Heater had parts replaced in the last 18 months due to corrosion.
There is no check valve on the line from heater to cell.
Note how the pool return line is above the rest of the plumbing, I can imagine the SWG may have been draining back into the heater.
I'm guessing the equipment pad is about 6-12" below level of the pool. The return line might be level or slightly above the water line.
1. The current return only has the Salt Cell in the pool return, not the Spa. Is that correct?
2. I was planning to completely redo the plumbing after the heater. I was going to go from heater to a check valve, salt cell and then 3-way.
This seems more consistent with pentair recommendations. Is that correct?
3. The mix of 2" and 2.5" in the return lines has me worried.
Will it be ok if I use 2" for all of it till it gets to the spa return line?
4. I see lots of comments about check valves for SWG needing to be chemical safe.
Pentair suggest their Automatic Feeder Check Valve R172288.
But it is 1.5"/2" and seems quite restrictive. Should I use that?
5. The pool return line is about 18" above all the other plumbing.
Do I need to preserve that, or can I bring it down so the spa and pool returns are level?
6. There is a check valve in the spa return line.
I was wondering if this is to prevent the spa draining back into the pool, since the 3-way never seals the pool off.
Should I install a check valve in the spa return line? Spa is about 8-10" above pool level.
7. The return 3-way in pool mode has maybe 15-20% going to spa. That is a good balance for the daily filter run.
When I re-plumb should I do the same, or do I use a bypass line and completely close the valve? I have 2 spare actuators.
8. Every other suction or return line has a ball valve, except the pool return. Should I add one?
9. Any good ideas about how I fit the 3-way between pool and spa returns?
The pipes in the ground are too close to fit a 3-way with simple elbows.
And the blower pipe is sort of in the way. Digging up the return line is not an option.
Sorry for the huge post.