Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: my daughter contracted folliculitis from a pool

1. Back To Top    #1

my daughter contracted folliculitis from a pool

Hello to All,

Not sure if this has ever been discussed, but my 17 yr-old daughter shaved her legs Sunday am, then at 2pm went to a persons house for a party. They were encouraged to bring their bathing suits to go swimming.

Well, she went swimming and sometime Tues morning before school, noticed she had what appeared to look like bite marks of fleas or bed-bugs. We treated at home as if it were such, but Wed morning it went from 15-20 bites to over 60, per leg. We pulled her out of school and took to ER...they said either fleas or bed-bugs too. I was not convinced and made an emergency apptment w Dermatologist. He immediately asked her if she has recently shaved her legs and went swimming or a lake? She told him Sunday she did both. He said you have a bacterial infection called folliculitis from bacteria in a pool entering a open area from shaving. He said it takes 48-72 hrs to manifest and this was right on target. She looked liked she had 60 chigger bites all on her legs and moving upward from shins to quads...

She has to take oral antibiotics, baths w disinfect chemicals, Rx cortisone creams and then topical sprays on her legs too. the worse thing is they itch like mosquito bites.

I am wrestling w calling the host, bc I do not know them and they were actually throwing a surprise party for one of my daughters best friends mother. I do feel compelled to let them know bc if they have someone taking care of the pool or they are, someone is not doing it right. The Dr said the odds of it being something else is 99:1 no.

So folks, make sure your CL levels are where they need to be. At least not since I have employed the TFP method using 8.25% bleach and I tell my daughters/wife to test water and treat each day when I'm out of town, they will move a lot faster. My daughter is 5'8" and a lot of legs, so it was very painful to see her go thru this. I am posting this to help impress upon all to keep their pools treated correctly. Any feedback is welcomed.

regards,
    tstex
    InGround 15K gal, 18'x30' 3.5' to 5.5' depth w/ 9'x9' spillover Spa, Pebblesheen w/ Travertine, Hayward 3 HP VSP, Hayward C4030 Cartridge, Hayward 1.5 HP for 2 Scupper columns, ProLogic, PL-PS-8 Panel, Hayward 400K BTU Heater, 3 ColorLogic LED, Spa Blower, TF-100 w S-Stick, QC Tiger Shark, Autofill

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: my daughter contracted folliculitis from a pool

The water must be warm down there, its more common as hot tub rash.
    15x54 swim & play vinyl metal wall AG
    Hayward S210T sand filter 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo vs
    Rheem raypak 130,000 BTU mv ng
    Jacuzzi 345 whirlpool bath
    TF-100 test kit, HM digital com100 Wanda the Whale

3. Back To Top    #3

85 degrees give or take...by Aug in Houston, it's like a bath
    InGround 15K gal, 18'x30' 3.5' to 5.5' depth w/ 9'x9' spillover Spa, Pebblesheen w/ Travertine, Hayward 3 HP VSP, Hayward C4030 Cartridge, Hayward 1.5 HP for 2 Scupper columns, ProLogic, PL-PS-8 Panel, Hayward 400K BTU Heater, 3 ColorLogic LED, Spa Blower, TF-100 w S-Stick, QC Tiger Shark, Autofill

4. Back To Top    #4

I would call them. They NEED to know. Maybe offer what a good test kit is and show them how to use it. Let them SEE your child's legs to reinforce WHY it is so important!

to your daughter
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I'd let them know also. Do your best to not seem like you're angry or blaming them or looking to take any sort of action against them, or they may get defensive right away.

6. Back To Top    #6

Definitely say something....and it could have been WAY worse if someone (or your daughter) got sick instead.

I would be thankful if someone told me that...but then again my pool is always properly sanitized.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

7. Back To Top    #7

Anyone want to bet the pool in question has a "mineral" system to keep the water clear? (mineral / copper systems tend to do a fair job at killing visible algae, but not such a good job with viruses and bacteria that are not visible to the naked eye)
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

8. Back To Top    #8

I see two "teachable moments":

The pool owners should be informed.

The 17-year old should be the one to do it. She was directly impacted by it, and she'll have to face situations as an adult very soon whether she likes it or not. She'll also be likely to stir less defensiveness/embarrassment from the owners. If she's concerned about how to approach them, tell her to be calm and non-confrontational.
    12,000 gal Diamond Brite indoor​ pool. Pentair Triton TR-60 Sand Filter +added DE, Lochinvar Energyrite ERN-200 gas heater, Pentair Multi-valve, Pentair SuperFlo VS pump, TF-100 kit, Pool Math App - iOS