Travertine Pavers

elbenn

Jun 1, 2016
dallas, tx
Our deck will be travertine pavers. I am trying to decide between the Versailles pattern or just regular squares. Our PB said that the Versailles pattern interlocks better and moves around less. I'm not sure if this is true, but I guess it could be a possibility because there are smaller tiles which could help stabilize it when the ground underneath isn't totally even (it's not like tile on concrete where the concrete is perfectly even and never shifts). So, please tell me your experience with travertine pavers and patterns! I'm supposed to decide today!

I have the travertine pavers for my decking and love them. They are not the regular squares. I can't remember if they are the Versailles pattern - seems like there are other patterns, also. Mine definitely interlock. It hadn't occurred to me about them moving around less, but it makes sense.

Also, I have travertine coping - honed and filled. But the deck travertine uses the tumbled for a less slippery walk especially when wet. Another poster had the honed and filled used for his deck (not his choice) and was experiencing real concerns with children falling. Be sure you're getting the tumbled for the deck part.

Here's a picture of my deck.

Your deck is gorgeous! Yes, it will definitely be tumbled travertine. I was leaning toward the squares, but the idea that they move around more makes me rethink that. I definitely want it to be tightly interlocked. Anyone else have knowledge of these different patterns and how they differ this way?

The method of laying travertine uses a perimeter of concrete. I've seen two different ways - there could be more. One is to have a hand carved edging of concrete poured around the perimeter with the travertine blocks butting up to the inner edges of the concrete trim. The guys who did mine, poured the concrete and then mortared the perimeter pieces of travertine on top of the concrete making a cleaner but sharper edge. Either way, I believe that prevents much shifting if there were to be any at all.

So, I would say to go for what you like best. That's the beauty of travertine - if you were to have any shifting or settling, it's not too difficult to lift and shift any pieces which have moved or settled. After a year, I've had no shifting and can't imagine it happening with the square blocks, either. There's just no place for them to shift to! I do have one piece near the autofill mechanism by the coping that has settled about a half inch. I don't think it will be a big deal to add some sand underneath to raise it a bit. At least that's what I plan to tell my son when he gets started on that little chore for me!!! :laughblue:

I have the travertine pavers for my decking and love them. They are not the regular squares. I can't remember if they are the Versailles pattern - seems like there are other patterns, also. Mine definitely interlock. It hadn't occurred to me about them moving around less, but it makes sense.

Also, I have travertine coping - honed and filled. But the deck travertine uses the tumbled for a less slippery walk especially when wet. Another poster had the honed and filled used for his deck (not his choice) and was experiencing real concerns with children falling. Be sure you're getting the tumbled for the deck part.

Here's a picture of my deck.

I am looking into travertine. I am not trying to highjack the thread but I didn't feel the need to start a whole thread because you mentioned a concern I had. I just heard today that travertine is very slippery when wet. sealing makes it worse and honed and filler and sealed is almost dangerous.

So is that the general opinion? If you are going to have a travertine deck you should use the tumbled because its less slippery and does sealing make it more slippery?

I went with Versailles for 1800sf of pavers. The one thing I will point out is that with this pattern you will end up with the 6x6 pieces next to the 12x24 and with the size difference, there is more of a chance of the pavers not being exactly level next to each other. Im not talking about big half inch gaps you trip over, but more like a 1/16 or 1/8" in some spots. You can go back and pull and level each one exactly if it bothers you - but with the tumbled edge, we like the natural look. If you are looking for concrete level smooth, regular squares or rectangles are easier to get flat.

Bout - where travertine is dangerous to me, is honed and filled around a pool. I used the DuPont salt proof sealer and it's fine for us. I grouted the coping with sanded grout and sealed it and it is more slippery that the ungrouted pavers elsewhere that are just sealed. Hoever - The best part is that they do not get nearly as hot in the sun as other materials.

I went with Versailles for 1800sf of pavers. The one thing I will point out is that with this pattern you will end up with the 6x6 pieces next to the 12x24 and with the size difference, there is more of a chance of the pavers not being exactly level next to each other. Im not talking about big half inch gaps you trip over, but more like a 1/16 or 1/8" in some spots. You can go back and pull and level each one exactly if it bothers you - but with the tumbled edge, we like the natural look. If you are looking for concrete level smooth, regular squares or rectangles are easier to get flat.

Bout - where travertine is dangerous to me, is honed and filled around a pool. I used the DuPont salt proof sealer and it's fine for us. I grouted the coping with sanded grout and sealed it and it is more slippery that the ungrouted pavers elsewhere that are just sealed. Hoever - The best part is that they do not get nearly as hot in the sun as other materials.

thanks. glad you told me that. Thats my 3rd and final confirmation. We liked the filled and honed and don't like the tumbled nearly as much. I also like it better sealed. so as good as it looks I think I'm going to stay away from the honed travertine.

We went with travertine in an offset subway pattern. Builder put the whole thing on a bed of stabilized sand. We have expansive clay soil here in Houston where we are, but even with that I have a hard time seeing much significant movement on the base layer they laid.

plat.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We have Travertine 24" x 24" tiles around our saltwater pool. This is the first winter and we've had really cold temps lately. The tiles around the coping have risen about 1/2". What would cause this?

Possibly the water underneath the pavers in the soil has frozen, creating a temporary heave.

Also possible that the concrete in the pool has thermally contracted if the water is really cold. I don't think it would contract that much, but you can run the numbers if you want to check it.

If it's either of those, the pavers will return to normal elevation once the temps warm up.

Definitely frost heave. I certainly see it in my large paver area out back. Generally goes back down and causes no issues. Doesn’t mean something may get slightly wonky in a spot but it’ll be an easy fix if it does. Likely will be no issues or unnoticeable.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.