pump information / curves

Teald024

TFP Guide
I am trying to find information and flow curves for my pump. It is one of Hayward / PowerFlo Matrix / SwimPro Voyager, all these names are on the box, manual or nameplate, 2HP 2 speed, model SW159412STL. I went on the Hayward site and can't find the SW1594 model anywhere or much reference to a 2 hp pump. Maybe it's a special model that is supplied to the pool dealer as a package deal with pump/filter etc. Regardless, I still want to get the pump curves for flow vs head or pressure. Over the winter I want to design a solar heater system, and wanted to get an idea of the flows for the low & high speed settings. I do have the manual that came with the pump, but it is very lacking with technical information. I wrote to Hayward Customer Service a week ago and haven't heard back.

Here is my nameplate:

1DLeyRu.jpg

Thanks for the link to the table Schnozz! It looks like it might all be calculated values off a few know values and pump nominal power. Any idea who generated it? I do question the low speed power values thought. All else being equal, power changes with the cube of speed P1 / P2 = (n1 / n2)3 , the table shows a linear change. Head plays a part in power, but I don't see this listed here so I assume not considered.
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/affinity-laws-d_408.html

I did finally get a reply from Hayward Customer Service. They sent me a generic SwimPro Voyager manual which is not listed on their site as far as I can tell. Its the same manual as the for the Power-Flow Matrix, word for word, except for the names interchanged! They did supply a pump curve, but honestly I don't trust it. It lacks a name or multiple lines for speed change. Although it might just be an impeller curve based on standard 3450 rpm but again there is no indication on the curve or in the document title what pump / impeller this is for. It seems kind of hit or miss with their manuals on including the flow curves.

If I can't get the information, I might just have to install a flow meter. Although, I may just install the meter anyway when I put in the solar panels so I can adjust the flow to the desired rate. Not really required, but may cut down the amount of tinkering to get the best efficiency of the system.

- Dave -

Well, I'm an upholsterer, so most of your content is way above my head..

I believe mas985 (Mark) is the author or provider of the spreadsheet. His name is on the Hydraulics 101 Sticky as well. Most refer to him as "the pool pump genius". He has been a ton of help to me, as have others...

I'm sure he'll see your post and respond, as will others. These folks love a good challange. Hope you get the answers you're looking for..

I'll just :bump:this to those who are better equiped...

Thanks for the link to the table Schnozz! It looks like it might all be calculated values off a few know values and pump nominal power. Any idea who generated it? I do question the low speed power values thought. All else being equal, power changes with the cube of speed P1 / P2 = (n1 / n2)3 , the table shows a linear change. Head plays a part in power, but I don't see this listed here so I assume not considered.
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/affinity-laws-d_408.html
The affinity laws apply only to the pump and not the motor. So the power delivered to the water (hydraulic HP) goes by the cube of the RPM. The reason the electrical energy does not go down by the same amount is that the motor efficiency changes between low and high speeds. The low speed winding is much thinner wire and so the I2R losses (as % total power) are double of high speed. So although the delivered shaft power goes down by 1/8, the motor efficiency drops by 50% so the net results is about 1/4th the energy use of high speed.

BTW, the numbers in that table come from the Energy Star pump measurements.

I'm still fairly new to the site and trying to sort through all the geeky stuff and search for some specific topics. I haven't spent much time in Hyd101 or 102 on this site yet, so I guess I'll have to up the priority on that. I love the information you have put out there mas985, especially your personal site! The engineer in me went right for your spreadsheet section. I'll have to take a look at all that info when I get a free moment.

Back on topic, I'm just learning these low power motors and pumps. I've mostly dealt with industrial 2 MW-30 MW motors. I would have expected less of an eff% drop at partial load, especially with the secondary winding designed for purpose. Different beast I guess.

- Dave -

They basically have to cram a second winding in the same diameter as a single speed so some some compromise is necessary. Otherwise, they would need a redesigned wet end too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.