Spider cracks in fiberglass in ground pool--what to do?!!

Jun 13, 2016
Crown Point IN
Hi all you seasoned pool owners!! I still consider myself a newbie--our pool was about 4 years old when we bought the house, and we've been here almost three years. Routine maintenance has been going smoothly, with the help of some knowledgeable neighbors--until this summer. We noticed upon opening our inground pool that there were numerous spider cracks in the fiberglass gelcoat. They have multiplied as the summer has progressed and they are now throughout the pool. We have been told by our local pool store not to worry; it's cosmetic only, but I find it hard to believe. In order to recoat/repair the surface, should we have it done before closing this fall or wait till opening in the spring? Also, the former owners left us no paperwork/receipts on the pool, so we have no warranty. Grrr. We know only that the manufacturer of the pool is Viking, and it's a hassle to get a representative out here to look at the pool since we have no warranty. The store the pool was purchased from (Midwest Pools) is out of business. Any words of wisdom here greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: That certainly is an unfortunate situation. If you didn't see this already, here's a quote from the Viking MANUAL:
Hairline cracks in the gel coat finish of your Viking pool are not uncommon. Patch and repair kits are available from your authorized Viking Pools dealer.

Not sure if it really matters when you decide to have the repairs done, although monitoring the water saturation and local water tables might be a good idea in planning the repair if you need to lower the pool's water level. You certainly don't want to jeopardize the shell by having it try to pop-upwards from lack of water if the water in the soil tries to push it up on you.

Nice to have you with us at TFP. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.