AGP deck/fence - looking for ideas, show me your pics...

Teald024

TFP Guide
We had our AGP installed about a month ago. We are enjoying the swimming, but quickly finding that we want/need a deck and definitely need to put some sort of fence around the pool. Our town does not have any specific requirements, but the insurance company said we need a fence. I asked them to give me the requirements and the gave me just about the most unspecific reply they could. No specific height, materials, or any other specifics. It just needs a fence. They said a yard fence would suffice, but I have 3 kids under 8 and quite a few young neighborhood kids also that visit regularly. I don't feel comfortable with just a yard fence.

That said, I ask of you, can you show me some pics of your fence/deck on your AGP. I was thinking to have about an 18'x10' square deck at the end of the oval with a simple 18" wide catwalk all the way around the remaining pool wall. I don't like those aluminum AGP decks and was leaning toward wood/composite. I was thinking of having composite as the decking material with all else being pressure treated. I will admit that I did purchase a one of those vinyl fence sets that mount to the pool structure. While talking to a service guy at the Pool Store where I bought the pool, he didn't talk highly of the product and said that they had issues with those fences on their outdoor display models and having the panels come off in windy conditions. I ended up returning the fence for a full refund. It seems like it would fulfill the "need a fence" requirement, but I'm more concerned about safety of others than just to have P.O.S that provides no real protection.

I was also thinking that the fence wouldn't have to go all the way to the ground since the walls of the AGP could provide a good portion of the barrier. The fenced portion could just extend from the pool top rail height to the final required height (which I believe is 6ft). I don't want to actually put the fence on the pool structure, but have it self supporting from the ground. I would love to hear some comments & suggestions from those who have had to deal with this. I've done lots of searching of the forums and found a couple of posts, but I am looking for more information.

Here is a pic of my pool 15'x30'. Deck would be on the left side in this view.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dave

ixBsYdz.jpg

Pool looks really nice!

I am no help, but others will chime in. You might want to check in the Above Ground subtopic as well.

I have done the Google searches already :D. I was hoping to get some pics from people here and some comments about them.

Decking would be about 30-45" above grade depending on location around the pool. The lot slopes away from the house (nearest in pic above, you can see existing concrete patio). Pool is set about 15" inground nearest the house and slopes away to about 2" inground.

These is an examples that shows what I am looking for, except just a 18" catwalk around the pool instead of the 4' deck as seen in the pic.
deck-railing-20-sm.jpg

The insurance company does want a self-closing and locking gate. I haven't decided if its going at the bottom or top of the steps.

Dave

Attachments

• deck-railing-10-sm.jpg
    deck-railing-10-sm.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 278
Maybe I'm just putting too much effort into the "perfect" setup. Something I often get accused of :D. I generally know what I want, but am hoping that I can see some real life examples of what other people have done.

What's your feeling about composite deck boards with PT railing/fencing? My wife is concerned it'll look weird. I said we could always stain the railing/fencing so it doesn't have that plain PT look and dress it up. I think the wood just feels more solid than the vinyl / resin railings. I just hope the upkeep isn't too much if we do decide to go with the PT with staining.

-Dave-

Some people have said the composite is HOT to walk on. Maybe get a piece or two and set them out where they would be and see what your feet think.

The combo could work. If, after a while, you find the upkeep is too much for the PT railing you can always replace it. It is all in the presentation. Go with matchy, matchy, OR complementary colors OR bold statement different. To tell you the truth most people will not really notice it........they will see the pool and go "Lets SWIM" and jump in! LOL

:kim:

My BIL did a PT deck with composite railing, then used gray stain on the deck (which turned out to look more like paint.) they have a 27' round AGP. They did the catwalk around 1/4 of the pool on each side.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Go to your county inspection department and ask about deck construction requirements. Do NOT mention that you already have a pool. Imply that you are wanting info in case you build a pool. Ask about safety fencing as well. Many towns leave all inspections to the county. The link provided for deck construction is a disaster waiting to happen. I am a retired licensed general contractor that specialized in decks and porches. Pool decks are the most expensive to build if you go around the pool, simply for the number of footings and posts required for the small amount of surface supported. A 54" high pool wall fulfills International Residential Code requirements as a safety barrier, the steps have to be either removable or gated. Building a deck that does not meet local codes, is not permitted and does not have a certificate of occupancy is an invitation for your insurance carrier to deny any claim that might arise. Many localities require an environmental inspection and permit for a pool as well. That may or may not be in the same office as the building inspection but they can direct you where to go. If permits are required for your pool, get all necessary info available, correct any deficiencies, and plead ignorance about needing a permit and apply for a permit and inspection.

@PAGirl, thanks for the pic, it looks really nice!

@Vickery, thanks for the advice. I've already researched local codes for pools & decks. Fortunately, or not, our town and county is very lax when it comes to building codes and does not have much for specific requirements nor does any inspector ever come out (there isn't an inspector). This applies to decks, pools, electrical, plumbing, buildings, etc. I did have to take out building permit to put in the pool. When I asked about a deck, he just added " & deck" under work being done so that I did not get a separate permit later. They only wanted a simple plot showing general location of the work compared to the house & lot setbacks. All requirements were in reference to setback & height restrictions. Nothing for fence, codes, construction methods, inspections, plan approval, etc. The permit is good for 2 years and was very generic!! Definitely not normal for most people's circumstances. My intent is not to bypass any codes & standards and never implied as such.

My insurance policy/underwriter only had a few requirements and without listing them specifically, they are listed in the "Safety Barrier Guidelines for Residential Pools", by U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
https://www.cpsc.gov//Global/Safety...formation/SafetyBarrierGuidelinesResPools.pdf

As far as that link above to PopularMechanics site, I had read that a few weeks ago and pretty much disregarded it when I read the line "The trouble is that most pool decks are too difficult or complicated for the weekend carpenter to build. Plus, there are very few attractive pool-deck plans available, and most of those require you to dig and pour dozens of concrete footings." For an author at that site to have that opinion shows me that they are underqualified to write that article and their opinion had little credibility. Especially considering their typical target audience. Deck building is not difficult, knowing codes may not be common knowledge, but that is where a decent set of plans come into play or the article should have given code info or at least referenced readers to the applicable codes and where to get them.

As for the fence issue, if I had perfectly flat yard, the pool walls alone may be sufficient, but since one whole side is at least 15" buried in the ground, it is only 40" above grade to the top of the rail. My 6yr old son can easily reach above this and stick his hand in the water. I don't feel that's enough of a barrier, especially considering it is near a patio with table a chairs very nearby. The pic I posted above of my pool is a bit deceiving, it shows before I backfilled. I didn't mean to confuse.

Putting your contractor hat on now, have you ever used a single post with cantilever to support narrow decking around a pool? One end of the pool would have a typical deck, the remaining perimeter around the AGP would be a narrow deck / catwalk. I was thinking of doing something similar to the photo below, with added diagonal brace below horizontal, for the narrow catwalk. Think of a mailbox post, lol. Custom made with no cuts into post. It would only be used to hold up a ~18" wide deck on the horizontal and ~24" or 30" railing on the vertical above decking. post would be 4x6 or 6x6 PT post. Only time it would need to bear weight would be to gather a lost toy, cleaning the pool, empty skimmer basket, on/off of solar cover. Catwalk would be on the pool side of the railing/fence. It would not be used for routine foot traffic. Decking would be above the top rail with a 1"-2" gap below support down to the top rail. fascia would only be a couple inches (~3") in height above gap. I did some calcs and it looks like I would only see < 1/2" deflection with a 500 lb load, assuming the ground holds solid. I have a heavy clay soil that below 4" packs rock hard. I would sink the post 40" down below grade. Thoughts on this??

Mailbox_1.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.