Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Apparently Phosphates Do Matter...

1. Back To Top    #1

Apparently Phosphates Do Matter...

...If you want your pentair salt cell covered under warranty. A few weeks ago I came back from vacation and found a little bit of algae and a quick test showed no FC in the pool. SLAMed the pool and noticed that the red low salt indicator light was on. I tested the salt level and it was fine. I took the cell out and cleaned it. When I put it back in it showed the salt level was at 4900 ppm. The next day it showed 2350 ppm. It's only 2 years old on a new pool and I had the multiple pentair product 3 year warranty. I called warranty and the guy ran me through a few questions. The last one he asked is if I have phosphates. He said if he sends the warranty company out and even if the cell is dead and there are phosphates in the pool this will turn into a $200 service call I'm on the hook for instead of a warranty claim. So my question to you experts is do I spend countless dollars on jugs of phosphate remover to get pentair to send me a new cell or just cut my losses and buy a new cell or convert to Clorox?
    23,000 gallons, Tahoe Blue Pebble Tec, MasterTemp 400K heater, 2 VS Pentair Pumps, Clean and Clear 520, IC 40, Intellitouch, 2 Pentair Intellibrites in Pool and 1 in Spa

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Apparently Phosphates Do Matter...

Companies seem like they will do anything to get out warranty coverage
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

First I'd get a copy of the warranty and see if there is a clause about phosphates. Expecting a pool to have 0 phosphates is insane!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

My fill water was fairly high in phosphates, and my PB told me that Pentair would not warranty my cell if I did not remove them. Needless to say, I have been working on removing them for the past couple of weeks. I figured it was worth it since it is a brand new cell, but I thought about it for a while.
    15,000 gal fiberglass pool with built in spa and tanning ledge (Leisure Pools Ultimate 35), Pentair Intelliflo VS pump, Intelliflo XF spa pump, Pentair 250k heater, Easytouch 8 with Screenlogic, Pentair IC 40 SWG, Pentair Clean and Clear 420 cartridge filter, 4 GloBright Pool Lights, 1 GloBright Spa Light, Coverstar Auto Cover, Interfab X-treme 2 Slide, 4 deck jets, Dolphin Oasis Z5 robotic cleaner, TF-100 test kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

More than likely, Pentair will replace just the Flow/Temperature sensor, rather than replace the entire cell. This sensor is what causes most of the salt level indication failures. Costs about $100 on-line.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

6. Back To Top    #6

I believe the current IC manual specs the phosphate levels at <250ppb and the warranty likely states that the water needs to be properly chemically balanced.

Depending on how your phosphates are, it can be cheaper than you think. My phosphates were about 1200ppb in April and for $40 I used 8oz of a 1 quart bottle of SeaKlear phosphate remover and dropped them below 125ppb. The entire process took 2 days as I did a filter tear down at the same time.

A new cell is in the order $800. Is $40 and 2 days work worth that?
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

7. Back To Top    #7

Jim's point is well taken though - it could just be the sensor which is indeed super easy to replace yourself and cheap too.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

8. Back To Top    #8

Sgt, what is your phosphate reading, or do you know? I'd second Joyful's suggestion and do a quick treatment before having them out.

Pentair's position on po4 is a bit over reactive, just so you know, but in some cases very high po4 can cause scaling if ph and ch are high enough.

While Hayward also espouses low po4 for cell function, I actually checked on this issue with them before installation and in their case they said it does not void warranty on their aquarite swg...which is self-cleaning via reversal of polarity. Many people on swg use Jacks Magic Purple, which is a phosphonic acid product for swg that over time will break down into po4, and don't have problems with their SWGs so Jim is likely spot on re: what the problem really is
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm going to take a sample to the pool store this weekend to see exactly what the phosphate levels are at.
    23,000 gallons, Tahoe Blue Pebble Tec, MasterTemp 400K heater, 2 VS Pentair Pumps, Clean and Clear 520, IC 40, Intellitouch, 2 Pentair Intellibrites in Pool and 1 in Spa

10. Back To Top    #10

I just hate it when big companies try to "cheap out".
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

11. Back To Top    #11

So I took a sample to the pool store and it showed the phosphate level is around 300 ppb...So now I'm guessing the best route to go is to get the phosphate's under control and hope for a new cell. And as a side note I love taking a water sample in when everything is already balanced. The employee's seem rather annoyed that they can't start pushing products on you. Thank you everyone for your comments.