Another Newbie Fighting Algae

Sep 7, 2016
Midlothian, TX
Hey everyone! Another newbie fighting algae...I was too stubborn through the summer to listen to my dad, who said I needed to come to TFP and get schooled since water chemistry is more than just keeping it clear...well...now that my pool is green, I can say I am schooled! And as always...looks like my dad was right. :)

I've been to pool school, done the calculator and really hope that I am doing this right. It started with a bit of cloudy water, so I "shocked" my pool which before was adding a 1 pound bag and leaving it at that. I now understand it isn't that simple, and have a pretty green pool. Nothing sticking to sides or steps...yet!

I picked up a K2006 test kit and just tested my numbers:

Pool: 10,000 Gallon AG Sountersunk
Filter: Sand
FC - 0
CC - .5
PH - 8
TA - 90
CH - 200
CYA - 60

Is This Correct?
1. Backwash filter then keep pump on through whole process.
2. Clear any debris and vacuum pool.
3. Lower PH to 7.4 (18 oz of muriatic acid)
4. Start SLAM process - based on Pool School means shock level of 24 by adding 355 oz of 8.25% bleach - test and add as needed - no less than twice per day

Thanks in advance everyone! :)

Sounds like a good plan! Check after adding MA to make sure you hit your target of 7.2-7.4. Best of luck!

- - - Updated - - -

Please add your pool info into a signature. Go to settings, upper right. Then edit signature on the left sidebar.

Thanks checking this out for me! I will be starting my SLAM tonight. Will add my pool info when I get home this evening.

Do have a quick question...I know that I will most likely finish my brushing, clearing ALL debris, etc. then adding bleach around 8:30ish...I hit the sack around 10:30 at the latest...should I check levels right before bed and then first thing in the morning?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and listen to your dad.

"Been there, Done that" is a life lesson that he is trying to pass on to you.

It is a great life lesson...One that has FAR MORE value than I ever thought would as a kid...

Just a quick update...Everything is pretty good, but still losing about 6 - 8 ppm of chlorine overnight, and pool is NOT GREEN ANYMORE...but VERY cloudy. Tells me SLAMing needs to continue. Of course it rained as well. :( Here are my latest numbers as of this AM:

FC - 17 (Need to add bleach to get it back to 24)
PH - 7.6
TA - 80
CH - 200
CYA - 70

FYI Rain has little effect on pool chemistry. If you think about it heavy rain may add an inch of water to your pool, which as a % is gonna be pretty small, probably less effect than a water topup. The aeration from the rain hitting the water might move your ph 0.1 points or so.

Just to save you some time and reagents while in a slam only test FC and sometimes CC. The ph test is invalid above 10 FC anyway and the other levels wont change much, unless you add something to change them

When you get to maintenance mode you will test FC daily, ph a 2x times a week, everything else weekly apart from CYA which is monthly

Being only cloudy instead of green is a great step, well done. Backwash your filter when you get to 25% above clean pressure. You can add DE to your filter to clear it quicker, but you need to be around to monitor the pressure as it will climb quickly, especially in the beginning http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/133-add-de-to-a-sand-filter

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.