Saw cut vs bullnose bluestone coping, need help/opinions

Aug 28, 2016
Baltimore Md
I want to do bluestone coping for my under construction ug sw pool. It's 12$lf for saw cut vs 20$ bullnose and my pool is 20x50 with a tanning area . I need about 190 liner feet so the cost difference is big. My question is will the saw cut edge be sharp? There will be a lot of children in the pool that will be grabbing the coping.

Thanks in advance, also any pictures of either would be nice.

It won't be sharp at all if you or the PB takes a grinder to it and bevels it with an 1/8" 45 degree bevel. I beveled all of our coping and stone table tops. Easy peasy and looks real nice like.

Saw cut is one of my peeves, I cringe whenever I see it.

The inside 90s scare the heck out of me & so does the inside perimeter. That stuff is hard & sharp.

If the bullnose is fiscally not in the cards, do a different coping material...

An other option is ask PB to "soften" edges with a saw. Don't expect it to be uniform , but it looks ok in my book.

(I know it's easy to spend somebody else's money)

- - - Updated - - -

Hey great minds think alike -- I just notice 2nd above post to "soften" edges ?

- - - Updated - - -

Hey great minds think alike -- I just notice 2nd above post to "soften" edges ?

Relatively _fyi bluestone gets piping hot.. Lay some in a hot sun for a day or so- unpleasant on feet. Pools I service with bluestone coping I can't even kneel on the stuff.

Yes they can grab saw cut- "finger hold"isn't my concern with saw cut - it's someboady walking their soft head on the 90s or perimeter.

The inside 90s scare the heck out of me

+1 to that.

Looks wise it's just preference. I love the square look. Our pool is rectangular which is a good combo.

Honestly in four years no one has said our edges feel sharp with the beveled edge. I'd go with the appearance you like. If it's the saw cut, then I'd bevel it.

Decisions decisions... Thanks for the replies. I am going to call the bluestone place tomorrow and see if they have something in between the two. See the double eased picture, I'm going to get pricing on that.

- - - Updated - - -

Can't figure out how to post the link .

We went with the square edge. No one has ever mentioned it being sharp however it can discolor. Some of ours are little darker blue where others are lighter and have rust spots and stains on them. Hopefully you can be involved in selecting the stones or at least be there to decide which stones go where.

Also Google 'tumbled bluestone'. I have some tumbled bluestone walkway pavers that have all eased/rounded edges. Surface is also something to consider. There are three, tumbled (mostly smooth), natural cleft (natural variation with ridges and irregular texture) and thermal finish (consistent grippy texture).

And as mentioned above, color. I hand picked all of the coping stones by color then had to leave. Of course you know what happened. But in the end I didn't care as I'm more of a natural fan than others. It can be mostly blue, have rust looking areas or be very multi-colored among stones with browns and tans.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.