Heater vs heat pump

dansdad

LifeTime Supporter
May 24, 2013
I know this is somewhere else on this site, but I read thread was a long time ago and I should ask to get sooner answers. OK my temps in Cal where I live in summer are 85-95. 95 being tops. Pool is too cold for me at 82 degrees. So would a pump work since the ambient temp in summer would place in on average of 83-90?,Thanks Dave btw If a heater I would use NG. Pool is IG 13k

What are your electric utility rates versus NG $/therm rate? In your area, that's the biggest determinant.

An NG heater is going to get your pool up to temp a lot faster than a heat pump. But any method you choose really requires that the pool is covered or else all the money you spend heating it is essentially wasted.

Sure a heat pump will work great in high ambient temps. An 8 mil solar cover might get you enough temp gain without a heater. It will prevent most heat loss overnight and will typically keep your pool around the high temp instead of the midpoint between the high and low. If you want to maintain your pool at 85 to 87 degrees then a heat pump is the most efficient way to do that. A solar cover will cut your heating cost by half or more.

well looks like I need a cover Im only getting 82 degrees when its 95 outside. And my utility is about 200.00 because of air cond. House gets pretty hot when its 95 outside but not the pool even with the solar on the roof BTW I don't think solar panels are all that great

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.