Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heater vs heat pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Heater vs heat pump

I know this is somewhere else on this site, but I read thread was a long time ago and I should ask to get sooner answers. OK my temps in Cal where I live in summer are 85-95. 95 being tops. Pool is too cold for me at 82 degrees. So would a pump work since the ambient temp in summer would place in on average of 83-90?,Thanks Dave btw If a heater I would use NG. Pool is IG 13k
    13000 gallon fiberglass, cartridge filters pentair Intelliflo Variable speed Programmable Pump separate booster pump solar panels on roof

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Heater vs heat pump

What are your electric utility rates versus NG $/therm rate? In your area, that's the biggest determinant.

An NG heater is going to get your pool up to temp a lot faster than a heat pump. But any method you choose really requires that the pool is covered or else all the money you spend heating it is essentially wasted.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Sure a heat pump will work great in high ambient temps. An 8 mil solar cover might get you enough temp gain without a heater. It will prevent most heat loss overnight and will typically keep your pool around the high temp instead of the midpoint between the high and low. If you want to maintain your pool at 85 to 87 degrees then a heat pump is the most efficient way to do that. A solar cover will cut your heating cost by half or more.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

well looks like I need a cover Im only getting 82 degrees when its 95 outside. And my utility is about 200.00 because of air cond. House gets pretty hot when its 95 outside but not the pool even with the solar on the roof BTW I don't think solar panels are all that great
    13000 gallon fiberglass, cartridge filters pentair Intelliflo Variable speed Programmable Pump separate booster pump solar panels on roof

5. Back To Top    #5

Do you have a solar controller? A solar controller makes solar heating much more efficient.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach