Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sun shelf/first step combo depth

1. Back To Top    #1

Sun shelf/first step combo depth

We are designing a large sun shelf 8x12 that will extend and blend into the first step of the pool off to the side of the shelf. I've read here that 8-9" is a good depth for the shelf, but I think that may throw a wrench into the design for the first step after the additional gap from deck to waterline. What is suggested in this situation to make the dimensions work as best as possible?

Brian - UNDER CONSTRUCTION: 17K gal SW Gunite IG. 17'x23'(w/shelf)x34'. 650sf. 114' perim. 3.5'-5' depth sports pool. 7'x11' sun shelf, 6'x8' spa. Intelliflow VSP, IC60 SWCG, CC420 filter, 4 LEDs (2 Globrite and 2 Intellibrite). Hayward 140K BTU heat pump. Pentair EasyTouch 8 automation. Ivory travertine deck. 8"X16" travertine coping. NPT lightwaves Aquamarine spa tile and marker tiles. Undecided on plaster/pebble finish.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sun shelf/first step combo depth

If it were mine, I'd look at the height difference between top of coping and top of shelf (water depth above shelf plus the distance from waterline to top of coping), and then divide by two to get the step height above the shelf. Probably around 7" or 8"
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

We set our sun shelf at the second step down. That puts it 23 inches below the surface of the deck and 16 inches below the water surface.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks. We were thinking of the shelf being the first step though, which makes it tricky.

Brian - UNDER CONSTRUCTION: 17K gal SW Gunite IG. 17'x23'(w/shelf)x34'. 650sf. 114' perim. 3.5'-5' depth sports pool. 7'x11' sun shelf, 6'x8' spa. Intelliflow VSP, IC60 SWCG, CC420 filter, 4 LEDs (2 Globrite and 2 Intellibrite). Hayward 140K BTU heat pump. Pentair EasyTouch 8 automation. Ivory travertine deck. 8"X16" travertine coping. NPT lightwaves Aquamarine spa tile and marker tiles. Undecided on plaster/pebble finish.

5. Back To Top    #5

Unlike some designs we've seen where the shelf is effectively the entrance to the pool, the stairs can be used as a standalone entrance to the pool without the shelf in our design.

6. Back To Top    #6

here is a pic of the design of our shelf/stairs combo:

[IMG]Screen Shot 2016-09-07 at 7.44.26 PM by fsubk, on Flickr[/IMG]

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Set as your first step, in my pool that will mean a max of about 12 inches down from the pool deck and covered by about 6 inches of water. Does that sound about right? Seems kind of shallow to me.

Making a water depth of 9 inches would make that first step down somewhere around 15 inches down from the top of the deck. If you have a coping vs my flat cantilevered deck it could be even more.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by chiefwej View Post
    Set as your first step, in my pool that will mean a max of about 12 inches down from the pool deck and covered by about 6 inches of water. Does that sound about right? Seems kind of shallow to me.
    Yes, that sounds about right and exactly my predicament. My design doesnt really offer a good option to make the shelf the second step.