Algae elimination

asquare

Bronze Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
Lake Mary, FL
Hello,

First - THANK YOU for all the great advice on this site. I have been using one of the pool stores for many years and had algae on a regular basis, despite shocking my pool, using the tablets and using the pouches. That's until I read the material on TFP. I bought my Test Kit last week and conducted my first CYA test - showing a number at 60. I therefore emptied 1/3 of my pool and re-measured yesterday. Here are the results:
FC = 7.5, CC = 0, CH = 325, TA = 136, CYA = 37, PH = 8.0 which I addressed with Muriatic this morning - I did not measure again this evening. I do not know my Borate level - I will receive the strips tomorrow.

The water looks clearer than ever but I see traces of algae in parts of the pool. The algae was likely there before I refilled the pool.

My question is: should I do the SLAM, or am I fine with brushing the pool, vacuuming the debris, then monitoring for re-growth?

Thank you

Anthony

Welcome to TFP, glad you found us and glad you got one of our recommended test kits. It will make your pool life so much easier!

You may need to SLAM the pool, but one way to determine if you can avoid it is to perform an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to determine if there are live organics in the pool that need to be irradicated.

Directions for OCLT --> Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Brushing is always a good idea to do at least weekly, as it disrupts any algae hiding behind biofilm and gets it in to circulation so that your FC can get at it.

Yip :flower:

And with visible algae, I would love to see you brush at least once a day. Algae has a protective biofilm and brushing scratches it a bit and allows the chlorine to get in there and do it's job.

When looking at the SLAM link, be sure to click on the FC/CYA chart link within that page.

I brushed the walls of the pool yesterday and the algae had grown in the previous 24 hours. I did the OCLT and my FC stayed at 3.5 overnight (CC at 0.5). I will therefore do a SLAM but I am a bit puzzled as to why my FC did not go down. Any idea?

Here is my status as of 09/11 morning. I brushed the pool twice (wall and floor) and adjusted the FC to 15 (my CYA is between 35 and 40). My pump ran 24/7. I monitored CC here and there and it was between 0 and 0.5. I did the OCLT again and my FC went from 15.5 last night to 15 this morning with CC again at 0.5. The pool is clear of any algae but I will clean the pool+spa lights and I will clean the cartridges in my filter.

I have 2 questions:
- I have solar panels and I suspect that I might still have algae in the panels - does anyone know a method to get rid of it (would the SLAM take care of it)?
- Is it normal that the SLAM would last only 2.5 days? I saw reports that some people are done in 18 hours so I guess that may be right
- Is there anything else I should be doing? I will do a full test later today

Thanks!

Was water flowin through the panals during the slam? Is your water crystal clear?

I would slam through the remaining cleaning you plan to do today. I'd run water through the solar too. Do one more OCLT tonight into tomorrow morning and make a decision then. It'll cost ya bleach and time but might save you a headache in a few days. Your key moving forward will be free chlorine level maintainence.

My SLAM is complete! I measured everything and met all 3 criteria:

• CC is somewhere between 0 and 0.5
  • My overnight FC loss was less than 0.5
  • The water is very clear (has been for 2-3 days now, actually)
I may still brush again today while I let the FC get back to normal.

Learning for pool owners with solar panels - you must keep circulation through your solar panels during the SLAM to make sure that they are clean. Typical solar heat programming would have water run through your panels ~3-4 hours a day and that's not enough.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.