Noblesville, IN
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60
Early this season I had the winterization pipe attached to one of the return jets to use for aeration and double as a fountain for the kids and somebody turned it to the point it got stuck. I've just left it all season, but now winter closing is on the mind and I need to get it off to be able to close the pool - currently it's stuck almost straight horizontal.

I've tried wrenches and oil filter clamps, had one person hold one on the outside border of the return piping while I try the PVC from inside the pool and it won't budge. I'm sure I'm turning the right way because I took others off to double-check the thread direction. It's a male threaded 1 1/2" going into the female threaded that's glued to the buried pipe. I still try to be careful because I don't want to snap the pipe in the wall, but have put quite a bit of pressure to no avail. The pipe is about a foot under water and even to the point I'd drain the pool for winter (just below the skimmers), it'd still completely cover the pipe.

Any ideas on how to get it off? My only thought is to cut it, but not sure the best way to do that without risking damage to the female thread of the wall pipe, especially as it's under water, so power tools are not an option.

Here you go:

Pipe1_zpsp8mmsrsi.jpg

Pipe2_zpsmsmgd6lt.jpg

Last edited:
Unless somebody has a better idea, my current thought is to cut off the pipe - on the threads, as close to the wall as possible. Than take a box cutter and cut a slit on the inside of the stuck pipe, probably doesn't even have to go all the way through, just enough to weaken it, and then try to twist & break the stuck threaded pipe.

Unless somebody has a better idea, my current thought is to cut off the pipe - on the threads, as close to the wall as possible. Than take a box cutter and cut a slit on the inside of the stuck pipe, probably doesn't even have to go all the way through, just enough to weaken it, and then try to twist & break the stuck threaded pipe.

That's what I would do. Cut it at the back of the joint close to the pool. Then Cut a notch not all the way thru with a small exacto hobby saw. I think just like you said it would loosen it. If not pour some scalding hot water on it and maybe it will expand enough.

This post if kind of redundant but I was writing it you came up with the same idea and samt was replying as well so it will at least reinforce the idea

First let me say my first idea is a long shot but is less invasive than my second idea so I would start with that.
Get hack saw blade and either fashion a handle on one end with duct tape or buy one of the handles you insert a blade into from one end and cut the horizontal pipe down so it is only about 6 inches long. Basically still long enough to be a good handle. Dry fit an elbow with a length of pipe above the surface of the water and figure out a way to force hot water down the pipe. My thought is release the pressure at the filter and use a water cannon like your kids are likely to have or simply pour down the pipe and blow it into the line. My hope is it will make the fitting somewhat pliable and the threads will release.

If that does not work try this, I have done it before with great success but you have to be methodical.
2.) cut the pipe as near to the wall as you can Once you have the elbow off and you now have access into the return, take that same saw blade and insert it into the return and cut some slots into the inside of the male fitting at about every 90 degrees, don't go too deep you don't want to cut completely through the male fitting and start cutting into the threads on the female 1/16 of an inch should do the trick. Then take pliers and try to rip the sections out a nibble at a time, you only need one section to come out then you can collapse the whole fitting and remove it. If you do cut into the female fittings a bit don’t stress it will not render it useless it will just mean you have to be a bit more careful of a cross thread when you put the eyeball back on.

Next time you add a fitting in use some Teflon tape makes removing much easier.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.