Speck Badu EcoMV 2.4 hp vs pool pump

ACDC

Jun 19, 2016
Knoxville, TN
New to the site...I have been reading up for a couple of months. Closed on our house 8/15 after having my test kit gathering dust for a couple of weeks. Out 1.5 hp Hayward single speed is dying. I like the Badu EcoMV, but haven't seen many customer reviews. Does anyone besides INYO pools like these as a simple option for a 35k concrete pool with 2 skimmers, a main drain and 5 returns? Looking to purchase soon and deciding on replacing the hayward motor or going VS. Thanks.

I run the pump 24/7 on a low speed. My only issue seems to be that when the water temp gets above 92F, the flow switch does not activate at the lower flow rate. If I increase the pump speed slightly, the switch trips and all is well. Both the pump and SWG are powered through the same timer, currently energized 24/7. SWG set at 50% for my pool. Power consumption has dropped considerably. Best "green" investment I've made yet.

I did. I went back with the single speed Hayward which was less than $200. Reason is after calculating KwH costs it would take almost 6 years to break even due to the low electricity costs in Knoxville. With no water features it really didn't make sense. New pump installed yesterday and I had to walk within 10 feet to even tell it was on. Unfortunately now my booster pump seized. I took it apart this morning and I think my impeller was stuck. I should be able to finish working on it some more this afternoon.

FWIW, for those searching the forum, I also found very few comments on the Speck/Badu pumps. I installed the 1.65 (replaced a 1.5 HP), and unlike WASP, my kWh cost in Northern CA is so high my breakeven is measured in months. Installed it over July 4, and I describe it as one lucky break, one "oh S!" moment and one small leak. (respectively, the threaded connector from the PVC to copper unscrewed without any damage; I cemented the union end without the nut on it; and the threaded connector has a very minor leak, which dumps about an ounce of water when the pump is in full-speed prime mode).

I couldn't be happier with the new bill, the power variation is great, especially when we run the spa, and it's quiet at what I programmed as normal operating speeds. I'll post a separate thread on my pump, but given how little I found on these pumps when I was making my choice, I wanted to get this out there.

Congrats WASP! Glad you're up and running.

anyone looking for more info on my install: My experience with the Raypak 1.65VSP (aka Speck/Badu 1.65))

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.