Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Speck Badu EcoMV 2.4 hp vs pool pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Speck Badu EcoMV 2.4 hp vs pool pump

New to the site...I have been reading up for a couple of months. Closed on our house 8/15 after having my test kit gathering dust for a couple of weeks. Out 1.5 hp Hayward single speed is dying. I like the Badu EcoMV, but haven't seen many customer reviews. Does anyone besides INYO pools like these as a simple option for a 35k concrete pool with 2 skimmers, a main drain and 5 returns? Looking to purchase soon and deciding on replacing the hayward motor or going VS. Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Speck Badu EcoMV 2.4 hp vs pool pump

Just bought one myself, looking forward to hooking it up when pool complete. $669 was a great deal!

3. Back To Top    #3

I like mine, though not nearly as high powered as the one your buying. Very well built. Nice and quite and efficient. I bought mine online from discountsaltpool.com
    In ground, 14,000 gallon, white plaster, unheated, stone waterfall, DE Filter, Rainbow 320 Cl, Polaris 3900, FloVis flow meter, F100 test kit, Circupool RJ30+ SWG, Circupool VJ1/Speck Badu EcoM3V variable speed pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

Wasp,
    Do you like how the pump-SWG combination works? Does the SWG just come on with a flow switch?
    Tega Cay, SC
    2016 build 16x32 polymer IG-Speck BaduMV 2.4 hp variable speed pump-individually run 2" plumbing-4 returns-1 skimmer-Doheny Discovery robot-
    jetted bench-Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 420 cartridge filter-Circupool RJ60+ SWG-Hotspot FPH heater

5. Back To Top    #5

I run the pump 24/7 on a low speed. My only issue seems to be that when the water temp gets above 92F, the flow switch does not activate at the lower flow rate. If I increase the pump speed slightly, the switch trips and all is well. Both the pump and SWG are powered through the same timer, currently energized 24/7. SWG set at 50% for my pool. Power consumption has dropped considerably. Best "green" investment I've made yet.
    In ground, 14,000 gallon, white plaster, unheated, stone waterfall, DE Filter, Rainbow 320 Cl, Polaris 3900, FloVis flow meter, F100 test kit, Circupool RJ30+ SWG, Circupool VJ1/Speck Badu EcoM3V variable speed pump.

6. Back To Top    #6

ACDC,
    Did you choose your pump?
    Tega Cay, SC
    2016 build 16x32 polymer IG-Speck BaduMV 2.4 hp variable speed pump-individually run 2" plumbing-4 returns-1 skimmer-Doheny Discovery robot-
    jetted bench-Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 420 cartridge filter-Circupool RJ60+ SWG-Hotspot FPH heater

7. Back To Top    #7

I did. I went back with the single speed Hayward which was less than $200. Reason is after calculating KwH costs it would take almost 6 years to break even due to the low electricity costs in Knoxville. With no water features it really didn't make sense. New pump installed yesterday and I had to walk within 10 feet to even tell it was on. Unfortunately now my booster pump seized. I took it apart this morning and I think my impeller was stuck. I should be able to finish working on it some more this afternoon.

8. Back To Top    #8

Pencil to paper. Best way to make a rational decision.

9. Back To Top    #9

Fixed the impeller that had quite a bit of sand that had built up over who knows how many years. It's back working with a small leak from removing the seals.

10. Back To Top    #10

FWIW, for those searching the forum, I also found very few comments on the Speck/Badu pumps. I installed the 1.65 (replaced a 1.5 HP), and unlike WASP, my kWh cost in Northern CA is so high my breakeven is measured in months. Installed it over July 4, and I describe it as one lucky break, one "oh S!" moment and one small leak. (respectively, the threaded connector from the PVC to copper unscrewed without any damage; I cemented the union end without the nut on it; and the threaded connector has a very minor leak, which dumps about an ounce of water when the pump is in full-speed prime mode).

I couldn't be happier with the new bill, the power variation is great, especially when we run the spa, and it's quiet at what I programmed as normal operating speeds. I'll post a separate thread on my pump, but given how little I found on these pumps when I was making my choice, I wanted to get this out there.

Congrats WASP! Glad you're up and running.

anyone looking for more info on my install: My experience with the Raypak 1.65VSP (aka Speck/Badu 1.65))
    Last edited by jm1; 09-15-2016 at 12:21 AM. Reason: add link to post on RayPak 1.65
    James - 15' x 35' IG pool + spa, with aging plaster, est. 21K-25K gallons.
    Ray-Pak PS165VSP and Pentair 420 Cartridge in 2016.
    Disconnected heater (gas line issue). TF-1000.