Settling issue with new pool

May 4, 2015
Bridgewater
Hi,

We had an inground vinyl 18x36 pool installed last July. When we opened the pool, there was a lot of settling of the concrete decking. Looks like the concrete is pulling away from the top of the pool. The pool builder wants to silicone the joints. What is the best way to fix this? The liner is also coming out of the track in a few spots.

Welcome to TFP!

The liner coming out of the track is a fairly easy fix. You can usually work it back up with your thumbs and push it into the track.

The deck settling is a major issue. They probably backfilled with dirt, and it is only going to get worse. Unfortunately my bet is there will be lawyers and money involved in fixing it.

Backfill materials vary by location. Gravel or sand are better choices because they never settle or expand.

I honestly don't know how to tell you to proceed. I would probably consider either having the owner of the pool company look at it or consulting an attorney. Probably both because there is no easy fix for unstable concrete.

That's heartbreaking to see in a brand new pool.

The pool builder knows he screwed up. He's probably rushing around trying to get jobs wrapped up before the end of the building season and the last thing he wants to do is contemplate tearing out your concrete and replacing it.

What kind of grade work did they have to do to build your pool? Was the ground already level? Did they build any retaining walls and/or bring in fill to level out a spot?

Freeze/thaw cycles are going to exacerbate the problem over time. It's going to get worse every year until he goes back and fixes the problem.

Thank you for your responses. To answer some of the questions: It is 14 gauge galvanized steel panels with deck supports every 4 feet. The land was level -no need for any retaining walls. Not sure if they had to bring fill in to level out a spot. I emailed the builder the photos I uploaded here and he thinks it's just a cosmetic issue. But from what you guys say, it needs to be fixed and concrete redone. It's very disappointing that this happened. The pool builder is local and has a good rep. The pool deck doesn't look bad but where the concrete meets the coping it looks horrible. The pic is the decking by the steps. Don't even have that much concrete maybe 7 feet for a small area and then just 4 feet around the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.