Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does CYA always leave in winter?

1. Back To Top    #1

Does CYA always leave in winter?

Here's why. Currently at 50 or so.
    I have leftover Bioguard Silk Smart Sticks and I figure this would be the time of year to get rid of them due to low to soon-to-be no bather load. Also have a few bags of their shock.

I figured using them now would help me get rid of them and be an ideal time since I know will add CYA but should be gone by the spring or at least lower.

And one last question. Do I truly need to remove the spider gasket? I didn't last year
    Pool installed 8/2015. 30' round Radiant pool. 21,000 gallons. 200# sand. Hayward Vari flow XL valve. 1.5hp Hayward Power-Flo Matrix running 10 hours/day in two periods. TF100 with speed stir. Sun all day, south side of house
    Order test kit TF-100 w/ Speed Stir and then Poolmath Calculator --- RECOMMENDED LEVELS --- POOL SCHOOL --- Algae? --- Chlorine/CYA CHART.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Does CYA always leave in winter?

CYA does not disappear as a rule. Most times, it stays in the pool. You are better off to wait 'til Spring and see where you are then.

I am not a closer type guy....too far South. I see no need to remove the spider gasket.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

No, CYA is by no means guaranteed to disappear over the winter. It sometimes happens, more often doesn't.

Just read a post earlier today where someone bought a house with a pool neglected for 4 years, looked like a total black swamp, and still had CYA over 100.
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys. Will do what I did last year and open to a clear pool (I hope)
    Pool installed 8/2015. 30' round Radiant pool. 21,000 gallons. 200# sand. Hayward Vari flow XL valve. 1.5hp Hayward Power-Flo Matrix running 10 hours/day in two periods. TF100 with speed stir. Sun all day, south side of house
    Order test kit TF-100 w/ Speed Stir and then Poolmath Calculator --- RECOMMENDED LEVELS --- POOL SCHOOL --- Algae? --- Chlorine/CYA CHART.

5. Back To Top    #5

My CYA "disappears" every year. The first year of owning a pool, I opened to 100 CYA, by closing time it was 80 and the next spring it was 0 and is 0 every spring thereafter. I agree to close it as is and see where it is next spring.
    23K gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward DE-3600 Filter, Raypak 406A Heater, Hayward 1.5HP SP2610X15 pump aka AO Smith UST1152, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Mine disappears every winter also. I am in the same general area as the OP so maybe it's a northern exposure thing?
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

7. Back To Top    #7

I only lose a little over the winter in S NJ.
    13700 gal, 32'x16'x54" AG oval, vinyl, Echo Canyon II, 8500 series, Narrow Yard, Safety Fence & Stair, Sta-Rite Crystal Flow T-210WF, 44 GPM, Hayward SP1580TL 1HP Pump, Aqua Luminator, Festiva wedding cake steps, March 2006, TFT-100, Speed-Stir, Sample Sizer. Avatar Credit: TJ Townsend

8. Back To Top    #8

I wish mine disappeared in the winter. Then I wouldn't have had to drain half of my pool at start up earlier this year.

17,500 gallon IG Vinyl
    Pentair Tagelus TA60D Sand filter
    Pentair Challenger 1.5HP pump CFII N1 1.5A
    Taylor K-2006-A, Stenner 45MPHP10 auto chlorine feed

9. Back To Top    #9

It all depend how you close/winterize your pool. In the North we had a mesh cover where the rain and snow melted and diluted the CYA and in the spring mine would be 0. My neighbor had a automatic cover and never lost any CYA. It varies from one pool to the next.
    15,000, IG, Gunite, Spa, Waterfalls, Cartridge filter, 2 Pentair Pump, Pentair Intelli Chem Acid pump, Polaris pool cleaner with booster pump, Ultra Pure, Chlorine, Taylor Test

10. Back To Top    #10

CYA doesn't dilute. Ammonia and heat are the only two things I've read around here that will cause CYA to disappear. Heat does it slowly, and you don't want/shouldn't have ammonia in your pool. Otherwise you lose CYA from draining the pool or losing water. I would assume you lost water when it get displaced by the melted snow.

My water was 160ppm CYA after opening it this summer...and that was after having drained it down about a foot at close, getting several large rains over the winter and having to pump out more on multiple occasions so the pool didn't overflow. With all that water I sent down the drain, I was pretty amazed my CYA was still 160, and scared to think what it must have been before that.

17,500 gallon IG Vinyl
    Pentair Tagelus TA60D Sand filter
    Pentair Challenger 1.5HP pump CFII N1 1.5A
    Taylor K-2006-A, Stenner 45MPHP10 auto chlorine feed

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

camueller- Actually, ammonia comes from CYA under very specific circumstances. So far we haven't been able to nail down the specific things that are required.

CYA can dilute if there is a large enough amount of water and overflow. It's much more effective if the CYA laden water is removed first.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    camueller- Actually, ammonia comes from CYA under very specific circumstances. So far we haven't been able to nail down the specific things that are required.

CYA can dilute if there is a large enough amount of water and overflow. It's much more effective if the CYA laden water is removed first.
    There must be more to it. I have had my pool 7 or 8 years now and NEVER have any CYA when i open and i have never had ammonia. There isn't any water exchanged since i pump it down a bit when i close and then let the rain and snow raise the water level since everything is winterized.

Every year i have to bring my stabilizer level back up. I do keep it fairly low (30-40) during the summer so maybe that has something to do with it.
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

13. Back To Top    #13

There are several steps in the nitrification process. If there are sufficient levels of the right bacteria in the pool then it won't stop at ammonia. The first stage is ammonia then nitrite and then nitrate.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach