Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Wind Underneath Winter Cover.

1. Back To Top    #1

Wind Underneath Winter Cover.

Dealing with this issue for the past few years.I thought I would throw this out there(if it hasn't been already).

For AG pools, how exactly is the wind getting underneath the winter cover in the first place? The cover is draped over the top rail and secured with multiple clips, cable winched, hanging jugs, water on the cover etc..... the wind must be getting in underneath where the top rail meets the top of the pool sidewall. So unless this space is filled, wind will always make its way in, no?. Thoughts? Very frustrating!
    15'x30'x52" AG Oval Morada II. Hayward PowerFlo Matrix 1HP. Hayward EC40 DE Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Wind Underneath Winter Cover.

If I had an AG I would use ratcheting straps to go all the way around and not have any gaps.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

I've seen some people wrap the pool to help fight the wind

https://www.amazon.com/Gladon-Winter.../dp/B003TQMDVQ

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bruce View Post
    If I had an AG I would use ratcheting straps to go all the way around and not have any gaps.
    Problem is that the uprights will create the gaps regardless
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I agree-the uprights will create gaps, same as the wrap does as well. You can even see it in the pic when you open up the above link. The wind just needs an opening here and there and then the cover becomes tent city.
    The practices that I've used so far(clips, water bags, jugs, etc) has merely prevented the cover from blowing entirely off the pool-they have done nothing to prevent the wind from getting under the cover in the first place.

As crazy as this may sound, what I plan on doing is applying rope caulk underneath where the bottom of the top rail meets the top of the sidewall-this is where the gaps are. This will be done from the outside of the pool. The gaps are only about 1/4 inch wide and in some spots less than that. I don't plan on going crazy with this stuff-just enough to fill the gaps without spillage into the pool. The rope caulk is non hardening, moldable, and can easily be removed if need be. I intend to continue to use the cover-loc jr clips. I will report my findings as the season progresses.
    15'x30'x52" AG Oval Morada II. Hayward PowerFlo Matrix 1HP. Hayward EC40 DE Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

As promised, here is an update. I decided against plugging up any gaps under the top rail. What worked for me was buying a new winter cover with a 3 Ft overlap instead of 4 Ft., which I had been using all along. The smaller cover fit tightly all around (7 inch top rails) which prevented any flapping. I kept the water level high (2/3rds up the skimmer hole) by using a skimmer plug. I have never used an air pillow, nor did I leave any standing water on top of the cover (I have an automatic pump on the cover) Lastly, I used a combination of 4 Ft and 8 Ft. single chamber water tubes around the entire inside perimeter of the pool. These were secured by tying them to the winch cable. This past winter, the wind never got underneath the winter cover at all. The wind gusts were as high as 45 mph, and not once did the wind made it underneath the cover! Problem has finally been solved for me. Hope these suggestions can help others with this same wind predicament.....

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm curious where you live? We have huge wind problems before the pool and cover finally freeze together, so I put a ton of water on top of the cover which works until I have to pump it off again after rain/snow starts pulling the cover deeper than the pool water level and pulls on the side walls. So your solution sounds like it could work for me too, just wondering about ice expansion if that would be a problem at all not using a pillow. It would be nice not to have to refill so much in spring, like I'm doing now (tiny amounts every day because we have a well).

7. Back To Top    #7

I live on Long Island, NY. 2+ inches of water on the pool cover never worked for me. The wind lifted the entire cover along with all the water. I have never used an air pillow. Ice expands upwards not sideways. We get wind chills below zero-the pool is a frozen block of ice. The water tubes and smaller cover are the only things that have ever work for me.

8. Back To Top    #8

Hi grumpy611,
    Would you happen to have any pictures of your winter setup? It sounds interesting.
    The cold temperatures this summer have me thinking about pool closing asap and last year we struggled with the typical high wind issues.

Thanks!
    noobie :-)
    16x32 oval 'on ground' vinyl, 13700 Gallon, 48" depth, rocky roller, Hayward Ultra Pro LX pump, Carefree 150lbs sand filter, TF-100 test kit