New automatic pool cover - use for winter or mesh?

Jun 6, 2015
Walkersville MD
Hello. We got an automatic pool cover installed this season. The guys who installed recommended we go back to using our mesh pool cover when we close and for the winter season. Is this what most people do or do you just leave your automatic pool cover on year round?

If if you do go back to mesh for winter, do you need to do anything with the automatic pool cover to winterize it or do you just let it sit out rolled up under the bench/box?

We have a solid safety cover for winter and the autocover for summer. Since you already have the mesh cover I would agree to use it for the winter. Using the autocover for winter requires a leaving the pool full which requires a bit more work to protect things from ice, and it also shortens the autocover life. I'm told by our pool builder that they typically have to replace the autocover material every 7-9 years, but they aren't sure for ours since we have both covers and not many of their customers have both. Ours is near the end of it's 12th season and doesn't have any problems with the stitching/material/strength yet.

Just make sure the autocover and it's box are clean and roll it up (open pool) before putting on the winter cover.

We open the cover in the rolled up position when we close and have a Loop Loc cover that is solid except for a drainage window in the center. Don't really do anything else with the auto cover.

I use my auto cover as my winter cover. They are usually cut wide enough to take into account weight on top of the cover. Storing an extra winter cover was not an option for me. My first cover lasted about 10 years. I am now on the second. I try to lower the water level enough to protect my skimmers, but also give reasonable support to the autocover. On opening I usually have to raise the water level to get the auto cover to open. I suspect that a second cover would add some longevity to the autocover, but I also suspect leaving it rolled up in the cold is not particularly great for it as well.

Using the solid auto cover the pool opens much cleaner compared to when I had used a mesh loop lock.

Hope this helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.