Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help! Pump leaking like crazy, trying to find a replacement!

1. Back To Top    #1

Help! Pump leaking like crazy, trying to find a replacement!

I apologize, as I was planning on spending some time writing my first post and getting settled in here, studying and reading as much as a could but now I have an emergency! I was planning on upgrading my pump to a VS speed anyways and starting researching, when last night my pump started draining the pool onto the ground! So now I'm in a rush trying to figure out what to do, I need to be able to get something here overnight, or go down to leslies and buy.

It's a 14k gallon pool, has a heater, equipment is about 25 feet away at ground level. Current pump is a superflo single speed 1 hp. No other features. I'm trying to stay under $1k and I'll do the install myself. I live in Socal desert, so very high energy costs.

This is the main one I'm looking at, is this a good choice?
    Amazon.com : Hayward SP2302VSP Max-Flo VS Variable-Speed Pool Pump Energy Star Certified : Patio, Lawn Garden

Any other recommendations?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help! Pump leaking like crazy, trying to find a replacement!

Not enough knowledge to say if it's a good pump or sufficient for your needs as I'm just getting started with my first pool - but if you but it be sure to check other sellers that sell "Fulfilled by Amazon". Depending on your location you can save $$ by avoiding sales tax. Just checked and direct purchase with Amazon was $769 + $53 for tax. Purchase through another seller and you get same shipping but avoid the tax (save $53). Good tip if you buy another pump / model.
    Free Form 13K IG (Quartz) w/Screen Enclosure - 2 Sheer Descents, 1 Bubbler - Hayward 60 SF DE Sta-Rite - Hayward SP3400VSP EcoStar - Hayward Aqua Rite AQR9 (T-Cell-9) SWG - Zodiac MX6 - July 2016 - Taylor K-2006 - Taylor K-1766 Salt Test

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the tip!

~14k Gallon IG Plaster (old)
    Hayward DE 4280 Filter
    Pentair Superflo SS Pump
    Built 1993
    Old Broken Heater that needs to get replaced!

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a 1hp 2 speed Hayward. I'm about 10000 gallons maybe a bit more. Why is the pump you have so expenisve? I think I paid 175 or so for mine through amazon

12' x 24' (21100 gal) Doughboy Desert Spring w/ Deep End, Hayward SP15922S Power-Flo Matrix Above-Ground Pump 2-Speed,
    Hayward S210T Pro Series, Hayward H100ID1 H-Series , Hayward AQ-TROL-RJ AquaTrol Salt, TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Wraenking View Post
    I have a 1hp 2 speed Hayward. I'm about 10000 gallons maybe a bit more. Why is the pump you have so expenisve? I think I paid 175 or so for mine through amazon

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    I want to upgrade the whole thing to a VS pump...not sure I get the question.

6. Back To Top    #6

How about a VS Superflo? The 342001 is 1-1/2 hp. 650 bucks here, Pentair SuperFlo VS Pump 342001 | Pentair 342001
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    How about a VS Superflo? The 342001 is 1-1/2 hp. 650 bucks here, Pentair SuperFlo VS Pump 342001 | Pentair 342001
    I was avoiding them because of the self install warranty only being 6 month.

Anyone have experience with Speck Badu EcoMV? Speck Badu EcoMV 2.4 HP Pool Pump (EcoMV/72-V) - 2072266213 - INYOPools.com

8. Back To Top    #8

I've never heard of that brand. If you know and electrician who can make an inexpensive service call a receipt from an electrician will get you the warranty.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

I've never heard of that brand. If you know and electrician who can make an inexpensive service call a receipt from an electrician will get you the warranty.
    Suppose I could, still costs $$. Any reason to go with Pentair vs Hayward?
    Hayward DE 4280 Filter
    Pentair Superflo SS Pump
    Built 1993

10. Back To Top    #10

Here's the leak!

Hayward DE 4280 Filter
    Pentair Superflo SS Pump
    Built 1993

11. Back To Top    #11

You may have to re-plumb with the Hayward. That's a pretty good leak!
    TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

You may have to re-plumb with the Hayward. That's a pretty good leak!
    I'm going to re locate it anyways, to get the footprint smaller for the equipment.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Uavmx View Post
    I'm going to re locate it anyways, to get the footprint smaller for the equipment.
    Bought the max flo, can't wait any longer.
    Hayward DE 4280 Filter
    Pentair Superflo SS Pump
    Built 1993