Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How do you manage pool covers?

1. Back To Top    #1

Merrimack, NH

Lightbulb How do you manage pool covers?

My AGP is freezing! I have a solar pool cover, it's opaque, that I can use to help heat the pool.

My problem is the thing is a PITA to manage. Once you take it off you have a huge wet sheet of plastic that you can't leave on your grass to dry (doh, tried that, NOT a good idea unless you like crop circles of dead grass).

What do you guys do? Where do you dry it? Do you just toss it in your basement sopping wet? All folded up and stuff, I don't think it'll ever dry.
    13,600 gallon (round, 24' diameter, 4' deep), above ground, Pentair OptiFlo 1.5 HP 2S pump, Pentair EasyClean ECDE60 filter, TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Long Beach, CA

Re: How do you manage pool covers?

For daily swimming, I have a reel next to the pool that I wind the cover onto. There is no need to dry it off as it goes back on the pool each night.

For long term storage, you need to dry the cover and store it out of the weather.

There are members with homemade reels, try searching the forum to get some ideas.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Here is the local favorite diy solar cover roller.
    DIY Solar Cover Roller
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Niskayuna, NY

I think that most agree that the solar cover is a pain with an above ground pool. It's harder to use a reel unless you've got a whole lot of deck around the pool to put the reel on. I have no personal experience with them, but I do see that they sell smaller solar covers that you can use multiples of to cover your pool. That way, they are easier to manage when they are off. I have a neighbor that has these for her inground pool and she drapes them over her fence when they aren't on the pool. It kind of creates a privacy fence out of her aluminum picket fence.
    18x36, 21,000 gallon, in-ground, vinyl, Pentair SWG, DE filter, Pentair 250K Heater, Taylor K-2006, Dolphin Triton