Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Anti freeze Propylene Glycol Vs with Ethanol

1. Back To Top    #1

Central Connecticut

Pool Anti freeze Propylene Glycol Vs with Ethanol

Regarding use of antifreeze (with ethanol) in return/suction lines when closing pool.

Home Depot sells 2 brands of RV AntiFreeze that also advertise for pools. (both rated at -50degrees)

One is Dow RV & Marine AntiFreeze $4.98/gal Primary Ingredients are Water 64-70%, Propylene Glycol 25-30% No Ethanol
    Other is UG Uni-proof RV & Marine Antifreeze $2.98/gal Primary Ingredients are Water 70-80%, Ethanol 10-20%, Propylene Glycol 3-5%

I am concerned that ethanol will effect the PVC piping used in my pool system. Does anyone know if Ethanol is a problem with PVC ... rigid or semi-rigid pvc?

18x36 IG 26,000 gal, Vinyl Liner, 24" Sand filter Hayward S224T, Jandy AE3000 heatpump and 1.5 HP SuperPump. Circupool RJ45 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Pool Anti freeze Propylene Glycol Vs with Ethanol

Ethanol should not be used. I'm not worried about PVC, it's anything with a rubber seal that ethanol can destroy. Stick with the stuff that is propylene glycol only, it will do fine.
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates