Let's talk timers - can I repair mine?

joseywales

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 11, 2009
Exton, PA
I have the Intermatic timer, with the yellow dial. It worked fine, until one of my On/off tabs slipped against another. Together, they jammed it up and I'm guessing broke a tooth on one of the gears - I was away. The timer still provides power and I can hear it, but the yellow dial no longer moves. So it's now a manual timer.

A - any easy way to repair it?

B - replacing it doesn't seem that hard. Am I wrong about that? I'm no electrician, but I've installed outlets, breakers, etc.

C - any value to the upgraded timers that monitor temperature when using a heater? I'm getting a heater next year, still undecided for gas or heat pump.

Thanks

Have you checked the gears in the back to see if they are moving or not? If for some reason you had to replace the entire timer clock it's very easy. You just have to get the correct one based upon your incoming electrical service for it.

Unless you purchase an automation system you won't be able to truly monitor or control a gas heater.

Intermatic has a programmable digital timer that is pretty much a swap with their analog ones. It might be worth considering since I believe they can run two units and you are getting a heater. A separate timer for the heater is recommended.

ps0303 is right. For temperature control you are looking at getting an automation kit which can get pricey.

I guess it's all about how much your time is worth. For me, I leave my heater set to one temperature so being able to adjust the temperature automatically is not a priority for me. Now, a programmable time might be (I have two analog Intermatic units) since I switch the times the pump and heater run over the course of the week. Basically during the week days the heater is off and the pump runs at night. Nobody uses the pool during this time and electricity is cheaper. On weekends, I turn the heater back on and run both it and the pump during the day. It would be nice to automate this task.

Was away for a bit again. Let's forget about the heater for now.

Intermatic T101R

Looking inside the timer, all the way to the back. The sprocket furthest back is moving fine. The next sprocket moves very slowly, possible by design, however i did notice a tooth or two broken. These are plastic, so I guess the timing stops being wedged against one another put too much pressure on the sprockets/gears. One of the tiny metal gears towards the front has teeth that are now worn from this as well.

Would all of those pieces come with a new timer clock? Or should I just replace the entire timer?

EDIT: I lifted the plastic cover. Um...is this really as simple as it looks? I was always nervous to pull that cover up, thinking I would get hit with 700,000 volts, skip off the top of my pool, and end up in my neighbor's yard. Honestly, it looks like a couple mounting screws and no more complicated than installing an electrical outlet. Am I missing something?

NOTE: the 700,000 Volts was an exaggeration obviously. However, that's exactly how much my Kenwood HAM radio stores. And THAT's why HAM operators have to have a license!!

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.