Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Mustard Algae help

1. Back To Top    #1

Mustard Algae help

About 5 days ago I noticed a few baseball sized spots of yellowish stuff on the hill of my pool and a line of it on the crest of the hill. I assume this was mustard algae. At one point last week I had let my FC down to 2 which is below min. I brushed it up and got FC to 13-15 to host a party. After party on Monday:
    FC 6
    pH 7.4
    Alk 90
    CYA 50
    So I poured 3 bottles of 8.25% bleach in which should've brought FC to 30. (Must alg level). Filter on 24/7, brushed twice left overnight. Tested this morning and I'm at FC 27. Should I add more bleach or let gradually come down to SLAM level of 20 and try OCLT? Thanks for replies.
    12,000 gal Octagon vinyl in-ground pool. Hayward S220 sand filter 3/4 hp pump, heat pump heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Mustard Algae help

OCLT will work fine at any FC level above 3 ppm.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

To be clear, my question was whether or not to bring FC back up to 30 (must algae shock lvl) or let come down to reg shock level. I will OCLT Thurs night.
    12,000 gal Octagon vinyl in-ground pool. Hayward S220 sand filter 3/4 hp pump, heat pump heater

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Come back up to 30 ppm....give it a big dose is the best.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School