Can't maintain FC levels

Jun 1, 2007
I've been using BBB for the last 5 years. I'm in the Boston area, and after opening the pool this year I cannot maintain my FC levels. CC has been 0.2 or so. Now the pool is covered with an automatic cover, so sun is not the issue. Two nights ago I added bleach (enough to raise FC to 15 ppm) and a day later it is down to 7.5 or so.

Now I did check my CYA levels, and I could not get it to register so I will be raising that up, but since the pool gets no sun (it is always covered, as the kids haven't started to use it yet) I think that's not the issue. The water is crystal clear.

Ph is 7.2, TA 80, Calcium 220. Using a Taylor test kit. I'm thinking I need to maitain FC of 15 for a few days. Any other suggestions?

If you had CYA in the water last season, then the CYA has probably been turned into ammonia by bacteria over the winter. You need to keep adding chlorine to burn off the ammonia until you can maintain a FC level.

Ah, I didn't realize that could happen. Should I add CYA now, or wait until i burn off the ammonia? Also will sunlight speed up the burn off of the ammonia?

I don't know if its related, but the water has felt very "soft" to me. I thought it was just me, but maybe that comes from the ammonia... Thanks for the reply.

You can go ahead and add some CYA right away.

When CYA is near zero, it is more efficient to only add chlorine in the evening. Once you have some CYA in the water, say 24 hours after you first add it, it won't matter so much when you add chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.