High TA with SWG but pH seems to be steady???

So I got my TF100 about a week ago and I've been trying to get all my chemistry into the recommended range for a SWG. Here are tonight's results:

FC: 8.5
CC: .5
TA: 100
PH: 7.5
CYA: 55
CH: 25

Getting closer!!!

I'm in the process of dissolving the 2nd half of my CYA in a tube sock in my skimmer, it's almost gone. I leave it in there even when the pump isn't running - is that okay? I've read a lot of conflicting views here about that. Once I get my CYA up to about 70, I'm going to adjust my SWG, I don't think I need as much run time. I'm shooting for a FC level of 5ppm.

My pH seems to be holding steady (I think). Over the last couple of days it's been around 7.5. When I first got my test kit I had to add MA to bring it down from 8.2. I ended up lowering my TA as well from about 110 to 100. If my pH holds steady, do I need to worry about bringing my TA down even further? Or should I just be happy where I am and not mess with it? I've been doing a lot of reading and I don't want my pH to drift or to put any unnecessary strain on my SWG cell. I just don't like adding MA, I'm terrified of it!!

Other than that, the water looks great. I'm in the northeast and we're getting a lot of rain from Hermine right now - does the rain raise or lower the pH?

Thanks in advance!!!

I want to avoid frequently adding MA as much as possible... Lowering the TA should help to keep the pH steady, right? Does anyone have any experience adding borates? I read that will also keep the pH down, but I'm a newbie so how difficult is it? What do you do if the borate level gets too high?

Borates won't get too high unless you add too much. First, see if your PH is steady with TA as is. Then if it continues to rise lower it 10 ppm or so and see how pH reacts. If you get TA to 60 ppm and PH is still rising you can add borates to help slow pH rise.

More here, Borates - Why and How

I've never had to add MA, and my PH has been steady at 7.5 since my last drain (to lower CYA). That was a few weeks ago. TA is 70. Every time I test it I expect to see an increase, but I don't. :confused:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.