Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Brand New Pool... Starting soon...Newbie

1. Back To Top    #1

Cleveland, OHio

Brand New Pool... Starting soon...Newbie

Hi Everyone, first I am brand new and looking for solide advice from experts and not "salesmen"

I live in a suburb of Cleveland, have decided to have an IG pool installed very soon, we have narrowed down to a contractor for now and wanted to run by his plan to see if anything should be changed....

one of of the biggest questions I have is SWCG vs Bromine??? He suggested bromine and have talked to 4 friends that have pools and literally it was 50/50 for both sides.... I do travel 12-14 days a month and want something w less regular maintenance, even if my operating costs are a little higher... Thoughts?

18 x 36 Vinyl Pool package and here is what us included:
    excavation and hauling of dirt from site, steel panels
    Merlin vinyl liner of choice
    2 skimmers, 3 returns, 2 main drains
    # 57 limestone backfill with footer tile, plumbing is all schedule 40 pvc,
    Jandy DEV60 Filter with multiport valve
    Jandy 1hp Variable speed pump
    Rheem 266K NG Cupro-Nickel Electronic Heater
    5' of concrete decking around pool (additional square footage $ 7.00 / square foot
    fiberglass wall ladder with rails, 2 LED lights
    Merlin Winter Mesh Cover
    corner step with bench seat extended width of pool and wrap over liner, Automatic Pool Cover
    complimentary first season basic weekly service and first season open and close.

thanks everyone and anyone for the advice...

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    Sydney, NSW, Australia

Re: Brand New Pool... Starting soon...Newbie

Welcome to TFP. Good to have you here There will be more expert opinions than mine, but here's my 2 cents.

Specify 2" pipe

Go with SWG, with at least 1.5 lbs per day output, or better yet 2.0 lbs per day output (e.g. Pentair IC60, Circupool RJ45). Bromine is expensive and introduces wrinkles you don't need to be burdened with.

I don't know the filter sizes, but go one size bigger than whatever filter is recommended by the manufacturer for your pool.

Ditch the basic weekly service. Use Trouble Free Pool Care.

Automatic pool cover is a very nice addition
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766 Salt, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Pentair Rebel pool cleaner; FlowViz flow meter; prior pool AG 10k - Be Safe - FC / CYA Chart - Become a TFP Supporter - Read Before Posting

3. Back To Top    #3

West Bloomfield, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Pileit1971 View Post
    have talked to 4 friends that have pools and literally it was 50/50 for both sides....
    I'm surprised to hear that. The previous owner of my home left me with about $80 worth of bromine tabs that I didn't want. I literally couldn't give them away to TFP members - even spa owners. It seems that those "in the know" aren't big fans of bromine in outdoor pools. I finally found a taker in a FB friend with a spa.
    12,000 gal Diamond Brite indoor​ pool. Pentair Triton TR-60 Sand Filter, Lochinvar Energyrite ERN-200 gas heater, Pentair Multi-valve, Cenutry Centurion pump, TF-100 kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Cleveland, OHio

Thanks, looking forward to getting the project started...

Any other insights/advice?

5. Back To Top    #5
    Northern IL

I had a outdoor bromine pool for 12 years. When I got a new liner and had to do a complete water change, I switched to chlorine. Best decision I ever made. Chlorine (SWG) chemistry is so much easier!
    27K IG rectangular; vinyl liner; sand filter; 1hp pump; auto-cover; heater; K-2006.