First Time Pool Owner

Aug 22, 2016
Lumberton, TX
Hello everyone, first time pool owner here. I recently bought a house with an inground saltwater pool. The stats as best I can figure out are listed in my signature line. After doing some research on this website I purchased the TF-100 Test Kit XL Option, Speedstir Magnetic Stirrer, and Salt Test Strips - Aqua Check. This evening I tried for the first time to test my pool water and the results are listed below. I welcome any help you can give on how to maintain my pool. It was a big investment and I want to keep it in tip top shape without hiring a regular pool service if I can. What course of action would you recommend I take with these numbers (assuming I did the test right!)? Thanks!

FC=13.5
CC=1
TC=14.5

CH=550ppm
TA=140
CYA=80

You don't list your pH, so check it and add muriatic acid to lower or borax to raise it to somewhere in the 7.2 - 7.8 range if needed. Saltwater pools tend to creep up over time, so I try to keep mine around 7.4, but anywhere in there is fine.

Otherwise everything looks good. If your water is clear, you can probably back off your SWG a little bit and let your FC drop down to 10. But don't let it go below 6. I prefer to stay a little on the high side personally. With your CYA, anything up to 32 is safe to swim in.

I have a vinyl pool, so I'll leave it to others to address the CH.

pH readings aren't accurate when FC is over 10, so let your FC drift down to 10 and then check it again before trying to adjust it. Sorry, I should have noticed that earlier.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.