Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: how to tell what Voltage the pump is running on?

1. Back To Top    #1

Advance, Mo

how to tell what Voltage the pump is running on?

I have 1 HP Pentair Challenger High flow pump that is rated 115 / 220V, amps 14.2/7.1. how can I tell if it is running of a 220 circuit or a 110 circuit?

It has a circuit breaker outside by the pump. There is another circuit breaker in the electric box in the pool shed that also turns the pump off and that circuit breaker is a 220 circuit. so I am assuming it is running on 220 V.

What would be the advantage to connect this pump to 220 v instead of 110V?
    I am also assuming it costs more to run the pump if it is connected to 220V circuit?
    18 x 36 ft inground rectangular pool with vinyl liner, shallow end 3 feet , deep end 8 feet
    Tagelus sand filter, 1 HP pump Pentair challenger high flow pump

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    Bedford, TX

Re: how to tell what Voltage the pump is running on?

Based upon your description, it sounds like your pump is running on 220 volts. If the circuit breaker that is by the pump looks like two circuit breakers side-by-side with a little bar between them, then for sure it is set up for 220 volts.

There is no real practical difference in electrical costs to run a pump at 220 volts vs. 115 volts.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP5200 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2.

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW Louisiana

Re: how to tell what Voltage the pump is running on?

The only real advantage is saving a bit on wiring cost. Wires are sized by amps not by volts, so running at higher voltage and lower amps (amps x volts = watts) So running at higher voltage, and fewer amps allow for the use of smaller wires which are cheaper.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~