Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: using DE in a sand filter

1. Back To Top    #1

using DE in a sand filter

Hi,
    I am sure this has been discussed already, but my search terms (DE, sand, area) seem too generic to find the answer in the archives.

I am looking into adding DE to my sand filter (Sta-Rite System 3, S8S70), and I have read that the small bags are better than the large ones (less mess).
    However I can't gauge the amount needed. My filter is 3.4 sqft, and the bags (EZ-DE Swimming Pool Diatomaceous Earth Filter Media) are sold for 36, 48, or 60 sqft DE filters.
    What is an optimal amount to use 2-3 times DE after backwash with my sand filter?

Thanks!
    Gio

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: using DE in a sand filter

Welcome to TFP!

More here about adding DE to a sand filter, Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

Also, you can add your pool info to your signature so that we can better help you. More here, Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

You don't need much at all. Mine takes about 2 cups to raise the filter pressure 1psi. Of course each time you backwash you're removing that DE, so you'd have to start again.

I'd just buy the smallest amount I could to try it.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you! My thread was moved and only now I saw your replies.
    Thanks!
    gio

5. Back To Top    #5

I bought a 25 lb box of DE, which seems to be about a 25 year supply for my sand filter... Next spring I'm going to introduce myself to the pool owners down the street and hope they have a DE filter.
    12,000 gal Diamond Brite indoor​ pool. Pentair Triton TR-60 Sand Filter +added DE, Lochinvar Energyrite ERN-200 gas heater, Pentair Multi-valve, Pentair SuperFlo VS pump, TF-100 kit, Pool Math App - iOS

6. Back To Top    #6

Check the pricing. My 25# box was cheaper ($20.00) than the smaller bags at the pool store.