First IG Pool Closing- questions

gtr1999

Bronze Supporter
Aug 4, 2016
New Haven CT
Hi All,
I will be getting ready to close my pool within the next 2-3 weeks. I can't believe we're into Sept already. I have read the sticky on closing and have some questions. These may be obvious to most here but again this is my first closing.

I have a cover, looks like a green tarp but it is what the previous owner used. There are water tubes as well. Does the cover just lay on the water once in place? No balloons under the cover?

Got the PH and chemistry down. What is PolyQuat and do I need it?

I see some videos where the closers do not drain the water below the returns. They cap them after blowing them out? What about the bottom drain, how do you protect those pipes from freezing?

I was planning on draining about 4-6"below the returns and using the pipe plugs left for them. Is there any risk to the vinyl liner being exposed for 8 months? I see a couple of places at the top of the liner it looks pulled down?

In the skimmer there are 2 holes. One is the suction for the skimmer/Vac what is the other one for, is it drain and if so should I remove it?

Thanks in advance.

Gary

Thanks Pool guy.
I have read where some do as you do and plug the lines under water, others drain and plug and yet others drain, plug and refill? It gets to be a bit confusing as to the best method to use. Same for chemicals used, they seem to vary a lot.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.