Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can't get PH down

1. Back To Top    #1

Can't get PH down

I've had high ph the last 2 weeks. The range is generally 7.8 - 8.0 which isn't terrible but I'm trying to get down to 7.4. I've added a steady dose muriatic acid (31.4%), about 6-10oz each day the last week but I can't get below 7.7.

Here are tonight's measurements:
    FC 7
    CC 0
    PH 7.7
    TA100
    CH 90
    CYA 50

Chlorine has come down slightly as I'm still dialing in the liquidator (I think I'm there finally). It was a high of 10 last Thursday but TA, CH and CYA have remained the same the whole time.
    Thanks for the help.
    10,350 In-Ground Vinyl
    Sand filter, 1.5 Pentair Pinnacle
    Municipal water source
    Liquidator
    K2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can't get PH down

What does PoolMath say it should lower ph down to? Are you running any water features, waterfalls or bubblers? Those also raise PH.

Lowering your TA down to around 60 will help slow pH rise. Here's, how, Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    What does PoolMath say it should lower ph down to? Are you running any water features, waterfalls or bubblers? Those also raise PH.

Lowering your TA down to around 60 will help slow pH rise. Here's, how, Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity
    Ultimately, I set the target value in pool math correct? If I read pool school correctly isn't 7.4 a good place to be?

We don't have any water features, we're not fancy like that and the eyeballs are turned up slightly but in no way would I say they are aerating the water.

Thanks for the tip on TA, I should have remembered the TA is a buffer against ph rise.
    10,350 In-Ground Vinyl
    Municipal water source
    Liquidator
    K2006

4. Back To Top    #4

Ph up to 7.8 is fine. If it stays at 7.8 then leave it there. No reason to try to lower it to 7.4.

Yes, you set the target number. What I meant was what does PoolMath say 10 oz of MA will or should lower PH to?

More here, Pool School - Recommended Levels
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok, just read that article on lowering TA. I need to get ph down to 7.0ish then aerate until ph is where it needs to be. Repeat as needed correct? Smaller bubbles are better than bigger ones right? I can accomplish this by inducing a slight air leak on the pump.
    10,350 In-Ground Vinyl
    Municipal water source
    Liquidator
    K2006

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm away from the computer that I use to access pool math but 10oz sounds about right. Even if 7.8 is acceptable, I should try to get TA lower correct?
    10,350 In-Ground Vinyl
    Municipal water source
    Liquidator
    K2006

7. Back To Top    #7

No need to lower TA if your PH is stable at 7.8.
    TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

I'll watch it the next few days and go from there, thanks.
    10,350 In-Ground Vinyl
    Municipal water source
    Liquidator
    K2006

9. Back To Top    #9

So just an update on the issue, with daily testing PH has stayed at 7.7 and TA and CH have remained 100 since I bought my test kit. Guess I'll go worry about other things. Thanks
    10,350 In-Ground Vinyl
    Municipal water source
    Liquidator
    K2006