Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Weir keeps dislodging

1. Back To Top    #1

Weir keeps dislodging

I ordered and installed a universal weir in my skimmer a month or two ago and lately it's been getting "loose". There is no dedicated hole for the hinges, so the only thing holding it into place are the loaded springs pushing the hinges against the walls. Once in a while, the hinge line becomes crooked and the door gets stuck, causing the water to drain behind it introducing air into my pump!

should I just remove the weir completely? I don't usually have a ton of dirt to skim anyway, plus I use a solar cover. Or... are there better quality universal weirs with stronger springs that I can purchase? Better yet, do any of you have a solution to keep the hinge in place?
    16,250 Gallons, IG Plaster; Pentair Clean & Clear CC100 Cartridge Filter with WhisperFlo Pump;
    Pool install 1980's; TF-100 Test Kit; Stage 2 California drought restrictions

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Weir keeps dislodging

If you use a solar cover, the skimmers really aren't doing much so you could just remove the door.

What kind of skimmer do you have? Do they not make a direct replacement?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't know what brand of skimmer I have. Would anyone here know how I could find out? I didn't see any distinguishing features or labels anywhere. I DO like that the solar cover means I may not need that weir.
    16,250 Gallons, IG Plaster; Pentair Clean & Clear CC100 Cartridge Filter with WhisperFlo Pump;
    Pool install 1980's; TF-100 Test Kit; Stage 2 California drought restrictions

4. Back To Top    #4

Does the lid have any part numbers or markings?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater