Longest SLAM ever?

Aug 19, 2016
Americus, KS
New girl here! After wasting too much time and money at the pool store, I've been cramming TFP for the last two weeks and dove in head first.

I started with a cloudy pool, so started my first slam last Thursday....

Numbers prior to starting
FC 0
Ph 7.4
TA 160
CH 120
CYA 35

So, going off what I found on Pool Math, I have been using a shock level of 14.
I was doing fairly well at keeping it around 14, but Thursday and Friday had to work so could only test and fix in the mornings and evenings. Pool getting clearer every day. PSI has hardly budged, and during the day, I didn't have a lot of chlorine loss, but would lose almost half over night.

My goal for the weekend was to really hit it hard! Keep it as close to 14 as possible for the whole days. So, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday the levels were either at or slightly above 14. Then I would do my overnight test and would lose half my chlorine. So, I unhooked the stairs from the deck and scrubbed every nook and cranny with a toothbrush. I went over every seam on the stairs and in the pool, running my fingernail underneath it, I took apart my vacuum and bleached all the parts. The only place I figure algae could be is in the little holes that fill will water to weigh down the steps.

So, last night before I went to bed by FC was 13.5. When I checked this morning it was 8. Pool is clearer than ever. PSI still at 12. I added my 119oz of bleach and went to work. Once I returned home, FC is 9.5. So I thought I would check the CYA....it's now 80!
Do I adjust the shock level to the new CYA, or is that even true with everything I've been doing over the last 4 days? Do I need to add stabilizer?

I'm sorry for the long post, but I'm getting very discouraged, worried about my electric bill since the pump has been running 24/7, and feel like this SLAM is never going to end.....but my pool looks so pretty. Well, aside from all the dust and sawdust that my poor little whale can't seem to suck up, but that is for another post, I'm sure.

I performed both tests the same way, each time twice. It has been quite sunny the last 5 days, if that would make a difference.

The only thing I've added over the last 5 days is bleach.

To the naked eye, the SLAM appears to be working great. It's just the OCLT that isn't cooperating.

If you did NOT use any pucks or bags o' shock, AND you tested in bright sunlight, my guess is that the first CYA test was closer to 50 and with the margin of error it shows correctly at 60. Slam at 24FC.

- - - Updated - - -

Lotsa cross-posting here...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
FC is 9.5. So I thought I would check the CYA....it's now 80!
Do I adjust the shock level to the new CYA, or is that even true with everything I've been doing over the last 4 days? Do I need to add stabilizer?

I'm sorry for the long post, but I'm getting very discouraged, worried about my electric bill since the pump has been running 24/7, and feel like this SLAM is never going to end.....but my pool looks so pretty. Well, aside from all the dust and sawdust that my poor little whale can't seem to suck up, but that is for another post, I'm sure.

Your CYA cannot jump like you report. If it has been 35, it is still 35 unless you have added CYA.....that is a given you must work from. I don't know what it is, but that difference is testing error.

"Dust and sawdust"? How much? Is your pool floor covered? That could be the cause of your FC loss.

Lastly, the FC does not decline as you describe. Whatever you lose at night, you will lose more than that in the daytime......it is virtually impossible to do otherwise That sounds like another testing error

So for this SLAM to work, you must review your testing and correct those problems so you can finish up.

(Picture above) It wasn't even that cloudy when I started. I will take a picture in the morning.

I have watched more you-tube videos and do think it was testing error. I was holding the tube way too close, so at waist level, I got a CYA of 50. Now I feel like an idiot, but live and learn.

According to the pool math, I now need a FC of 20, instead of 14. So, I will add my bleach, and test one more time before I go to bed......and then again in the morning.

As for the dirt/sawdust... We live on the north side of gravel road, which in Kansas means A LOT of dust with the south breeze. We also finished a remodel and built a 1400sq ft deck. Every chance I get, I manually vacuum, and then run the robot. But when I wake up in the morning, it's all settled right back down on the bottom. Every little divot....and there are a lot because the people who installed the pool made sure the sand was everything but smooth.

Thank you all for your help. This pool is A LOT more work than I ever thought it would be, but I feel so much better now with TFP.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.