Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Which is the best pool heater for our situation?

1. Back To Top    #1

Which is the best pool heater for our situation?

We have a 18' wide by 4' deep circular pool and are located in Minneapolis, MN. We really would like to get some sort of heater for the pool, but have no idea which one would be right for us. Does anybody know of a fairly easy to set up and affordable heater for us Minnesotans? Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Greg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Which is the best pool heater for our situation?

I forgot to mention that it is an above ground vinyl pool, but you probably assumed that anyway.

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP
    Solar is the easiest and most affordable setup. A solar cover would help retain heat also.
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by DaveNJ
    Welcome to TFP
    Solar is the easiest and most affordable setup. A solar cover would help retain heat also.
    Any idea as to which specific solar product we should choose? Do you have any links?

Thanks,
    Greg

5. Back To Top    #5

There are quite a number of people on the site that have installed Solar systems. Some of them may chime in for suggestions. In the mean time consider reading Pool School at the top of the page. I would suggest that you consider a good test kit. The price may appear to high for testing the water, but;
    It will save you time and money in the long run.
    You won't battle the pool, but enjoy it.
    Welcome to TFP by the way.
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

6. Back To Top    #6

have u considered an heat pump?

7. Back To Top    #7

Heat pump!

8. Back To Top    #8

Solar is my vote. (Of course, I have solar, so I'm biased). There are quite a few AG solar setups on the net for quite a cheap amount. I would buy one that has a built in bypass valve, then you can easily plumb it into your existing lines easily. Once you buy and install, the heat is basically free from then on. A "solar" cover is a must for solar heating.
    20 x 40 vinyl IG. SWG. Solar. Ikeric VS pump.

9. Back To Top    #9

we have a 4x20 solar bear panel $240 installed my self...I like the solar bear vs the sungrabber panels, but the concept is the same..my costs included the extra flex pipe and unions I used to plumb it in right beside the back of our pool and deck....operating costs = free and we gain about 3 degrees per day, using a solar cover at night...I'm guessing it would do even better on a 18ft round. the panel does it's job as the water flows through when the pump is running from 9am-4pm
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by domingos35
    have u considered an heat pump?
    Yes, we've considered a heat pump. We're pretty much considering everything possible before buying. Do you have a specific heat pump in mind? Keep in mind that we only need to heat ~7600 gallons of water.