is an SWG right for me?

ta2dwonderwoman

Bronze Supporter
Jul 1, 2016
fall river ks
I have copd and the energy required to carry bleach to my cart, pay for it, get it out of the store, into the car, out of the car and into the house and then out to the pool along with the actual walking back and forth (not far, but hard on someone with copd nonetheless) is something that I was able to handle this year with a lot of help from my superman husband, but as my disease progresses, I am wanting to automate as much of my pool care as possible. I am wondering if I understand the swg process correctly?

I buy the swg, make sure I have the proper pump for my size pool (pretty sure I need to upgrade, but this one seems to do just fine really), get the salt needed to bring my levels up to correct levels and then pretty much just test and adjust my swg output as needed to keep it in range? no buying salt off and on all year long like I do with chlorine? just a bit maybe if my levels drop for some reason?

I don't mind the upfront expense of the swg, I do that anyway a lot by buying stuff I need at the beginning of the season to get me thru most of it so that I don't find myself in a bind since I live at least 45 minutes from the nearest walmart and that is not even a big one, I am an hour and a half from the big ones...

will the salt eat up my wooden deck and metal framework? I have read stories of people saying that you should plan to replace anything within 50 ft of a saltwater pool every 2 or 3 years due to corrosion...

any advice as to what type/size swg and pump I should consider as a minimum? my pool is almost tree free...I think we have had 7 leaves in it since we opened in june and mostly just my husband and myself for the most part, a few guests over the summer, but mostly just us. truthfully, more me than him even, he won't swim unless it is 86 degrees most of the time LOL

thanks in advance for any assistance!

:flower:

In my opinion, you'll be glad you got it. I haven't heard of needing to replace stuff every 2 to 3 years.

Others will be along shortly with more info!

Intex changes their model numbers so frequently it's hard to keep up, but I believe that is the larger SWG which produces 12 g/hr of chlorine. If so, that is perfect for your pool.

The pump is on the small side of what I would recommend, but will probably be just fine as well. If you can get the next size larger pump/filter for not much more, say $20-30, I would do it. But if not, this one will work.

Remember that in the winter or when the water gets below 60, you will have to add bleach because the SWG won't work. I haven't had to experience this yet since my pool is only 5 months old. Also, you may have to buy a few bags of salt to add to your pool throughout the season if you have a lot of rain.

I am under the impression that when I close it for the winter I'm supposed to raise the FC to slam levels and then cover it for the winter. With it being clean and covered it should not require additional pouring through those months is what I thought I read. I will have to look into that a little deeper

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I believe they stop producing chlorine when the water gets too cold, around 60 degrees. Like I said, I haven't experienced this yet, but remember reading this on the forum. Of course I could get out my owners manual...

Once your water gets below 60 degrees, algae won't grow in it anyway, so it's not really an issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.