Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help removing scale/staining

1. Back To Top    #1

Help removing scale/staining

We went away for a 2 week vacation this summer and came back to a light brown stain on the pool floor.

I bought a magic Jack's stain identification kit and the test indicating the use of STAIN SOLUTION #2 – THE COPPER & SCALE STUFF worked almost instantly.

What is in this solution and can I buy it in a different form? Jack's is expensive and I don't know if I want to dump some unknown chemical into the pool.

FYI - I'm pretty sure the staining came from no acid being added to the pool over the 2 weeks.

Other issues:

When we moved into the house, the calcium buildup under the waterfall was pretty heavy. It hasn't budged much since we moved in, how do you suggest I get rid of it.

Last, the brown spots about the size of a quarter did not react when I used the stain kit. How do I get rid of them? I've tried a puck and muratic acid directly applied. I have not tried asorbic acid.

Thank you!

Recent readings:
    FC - 7
    PH - 7.5
    TA - 100
    CH - 220
    CYA - 30
    Salt - 1080
    Borate - 50

PH must be treated daily with at least 2 cups and up to quart a day.
    20/22K Gallons, in ground, pebbletech, Jandy DE 60 filter, variable speed jandy vs flo pro pump, pool built 2005?, Waterfall (pile of rocks), spa with waterfall, Jandy Stealth pump on waterfall, sandstone coping, stenner chlorine pump and 20 gallon tank, working on a muratic acid stenner system this winter, TF100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help removing scale/staining

Pictures of the pool

20/22K Gallons, in ground, pebbletech, Jandy DE 60 filter, variable speed jandy vs flo pro pump, pool built 2005?, Waterfall (pile of rocks), spa with waterfall, Jandy Stealth pump on waterfall, sandstone coping, stenner chlorine pump and 20 gallon tank, working on a muratic acid stenner system this winter, TF100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Any feedback guys and gals?

4. Back To Top    #4

Hey Randy. Well, while your current test results don't seem to indicate a high calcium (CSI) level, you hint that perhaps the calcium levels were high at one time on the past based on other indications (i.e. waterfall). If the staining is from scale/calcium, and scrubbing doesn't effect it, it may be something you have to live with until you one day decide to give it a good acid wash. However if you are still not convinced and want to test further for organic or metals, try the following:
    - Try Vitamin C tabs crushed in a sock (iron). If it makes the spot darker, it could be copper (try dry acid the same way).
    - Then try a chlorine tab to rule-out organic material (algae-related).
    - That leaves calcium-based deposits.

Hopefully one of those will help you pinpoint what's going on.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

There are a few options for removing calcium scale.

Least aggressive
    Lower your CSI to -0.8 to -0.9 and brush aggressively. This will take about as long to remove scale as it took to build up.

Mildly aggressive
    The Zero Alkalinity Acid Treatment

Most aggressive, removes plaster and shortens plaster life
    Drain the pool and acid wash it

More here about scale, Pool School - Calcium Scaling
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Greetings. If the staining responded to Jacks #2, its most likely copper. Some people have success doing an "underwater acid wash" using muriatic acid and this tool: Amazon.com: Purity Kit Underwater Acid Wash UAW: Home Audio Theater

If you want to test that it will work and have an dry acid on hand, use that in a sock.

AA in this case will not likely be as effective.

For the spot stains, you may have scale mixed in with te metal...you may need multiple treatments with acid to remove those.

Jacks stain solution #2 does not say what's in it on te msds, but another poster previously shared with me the belief that its sulfamic acid. People do report good results with it.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains