Stage 1 - New pool shopping - Head spinning

Apr 22, 2014
Naperville IL
So we've decided to go ahead and replace our existing 18' above ground pool. We went out and got a couple quotes from local retailers. Where I was hoping to get some insight is on the quality of the pools and heaters. The prices are comparable, but of course each seller is telling us that their pool is higher quality (i know, you're shocked...). We have a pump and filter from our current pool that we will be using on the new one so that isn't a concern.

We're going with a 21' above ground that we plan on digging into the ground 24" (which incidentally costs almost as much as the pool itself)

Pool 1 is from the Great Escape. They claim it's their top model pool with guaranteed parts (skimmer, rails, steel, etc) for life. They also have a Hayward heater (which I've read and heard is not the best out there). This is obviously a big company, and sometimes that can cause problems because you can be just a number with them.

Pool 2 is a Doughboy, their Sapphire model. This dealer states his pool is head and shoulders above the Great Escape pools. He claims it's structurally better and will last longer. The warranty here is lifetime for all resin parts and 25 year prorated for steel.
Heater can be either a Pentair or a Rheem.

What I was hoping for is personal experience, whether you're a homeowner or in the business. I don't really have a preference either way at this point. I just want the best product that will last. It's often said you get what you pay for and we're willing to pay a little extra to do things right the first time.

Also, we are in the Chicagoland area so if you know or can recommend anyone that we could speak with that would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance!

I have read far too many "warranty" horror stories the last few days here to be anything but cynical when it comes to pool builders honoring warranties. Honestly, the best approach is to ask the installers for references of work recently completely and maybe a few that are a couple of years out and then start calling the references up and asking if you can come by and take a look. Pool builders will all promise you the moon and the stars when they're courting your business then, as soon as you write them that last check, they take the "don't call us, we'll call you approach" to customer care. References, references, references....

Oh, and you'll find that the most trusted and widely praised brand of heater on this site (from people that actually service them!) are the Rheem/Raypack heaters. I have a Pentair MasterTemp which has worked flawlessly for years, but I fear the coming day in the future when I go out to the equipment pad and the heater decides to go sideways on me....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.