Neep help with a tile catasrophe.

Hey all,

We finally decided to get our pool resurfaced and change to glass mosaic tile. We thought we hired a legit business but based on the work thats been done I'd have to say we hired someone who either doesn't know what they're doing doesn't care or doesn't want to watch his employees. The tile work got worse each day until I finally told the team to leave. I will post some pics here soon. We are now suing him in small claims court since we provided the the tile and we just want that money back. He is now countersuing for $5000 labor. I haven't watched the entire tape for the times the workers were there and I don't know what a pool guy makes hourly but I think $5k for labor is a bit steep. They maybe have 25 hours of work in for the whole group of guys. The other side hired and attorney so now we have done the same. This will end up costing us more than the price of the tile but now it is the principle of the matter. Cost, although an issue, is not THE issue. Now iI want to make sure these guys think before jumping into a project that they are unable to do.

So my question... Is there a written standard for placing mosaic tile so I can show he deviated from it?

Here are just a few of the issues-

No transit line so tiles are just over 1.5 inches off from one side to the other.
Spillover without steel reinforcement as far as I can tell.
Spillover with 18 tiles on one side and 17 on the other so that they can not meet in the middle.
Glass tile cut with sharp edges sticking out.
Edges without overlap and widely spaced joints.
Poorly spaced accents that are nowhere close to square and are twisted in every angle imaginable.
Poorly (read not) sealed skimmer edges

Oh, and draining the pool into the Bay. I don't know that this is legit either. Anything that can be done about this? Would he be subject to a fine? Or do I have to worry that I would get the fine? I was not home when the pool was drained and the contract states "Properly draining the pool."

All of this is on our security footage including the realization that there are too many tiles on one side of the spillway vs the other.

Pictures to follow... scratch that. Pics attached. I'd love to put up more but it looks like there is a limit to number as well as size.
1 - Note the number of tiles on the left vs right of the spillway.
2 - Transit line by another company
3 - Accent. Out of square as are the rest but all in different amounts and different directions. Also spaced anywhere from 1"-3" from the edge of the stair.
4 - Wide grout lines. Shouldn't the tiles overlap? Jagged broken tiles.
5 - Prep work of tile. Is this sufficient?

What do you guys think of this work? Again, I think the biggest help will be a written standard but I've been unable to find anything. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Oh man. I don't know the answers to your questions, but this looks awful. Almost criminal. So sorry you are having to go through this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.