Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is this stuff settling on my pool bottom

1. Back To Top    #1

What is this stuff settling on my pool bottom

2nd year for the above ground pool and it's been pretty easy to maintain. But for the most part of the summer I have been fighting this stuff settling to the floor. it's only on the bottom, if I brush it just turns to dust. If I vacuume on filter it settles to the bottom again over the next few days. Pool head been clear all year and I just maintain my chlorine and do all my testing every free weeks and never a hint of problem with cc's or algae. Just wondering if I have a filter problem but that don't makes sense either because the water has been clear all year.<a data-cke-saved-href="http://" href="http://">http://[URL="http://s248.photobucket.com/user/bronzeback5/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160906_132127646.jpg.html"][/URL]</a>
    18' round above ground est 8600 /gal with Hayward sand filter filled with well water

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What is this stuff settling on my pool bottom

Pretty sure that IS algae. Do you test your water with a test kit (not at the pool store)?
    Kelly, Tampa FL
    15' by 4' Intex above ground metal frame, about 5300 gallons
    Intex 120V Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump & Saltwater System CG-28679 with E.C.O.
    TF100 Kit and Speedstir
    Intex Auto Cleaner - works great!

3. Back To Top    #3

I have a test kit. Does algae turn to brown dust when brushed?
    18' round above ground est 8600 /gal with Hayward sand filter filled with well water

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Bronzeback5 View Post
    Does algae turn to brown dust when brushed?
    Yes it does, and that's dead algae....due to chronic low chlorine in your pool. If you have a good test kit with FAS/DPD chlorine test, you need to SLAM your pool. See the SLAM article in Pool School
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

So when I do the chlorine test it should indicate something is growing in my pool?

Buddy from work said mustard algae when I explained it to him. Just stopped by the pool store and she said mustard algae also and I need a product called Banish I believe.

I am familiar with slamming and I will do the chlorine test before dark tonightAnd see what it says.

6. Back To Top    #6

Banish is copper. Not something we recommend. Stick with a proper Slam and follow with good chlorine levels. You're getting persistent algae due to insufficient chlorine.

7. Back To Top    #7

Alright, pH is 7.4 after I lowered it.

CYA is 30. Thought I was closer to 50 but draining the rain water this last month must have took me down.

FC 25 after I bumped it up

CC is .5 as it was just the tiniest hint of pink after I added the R-0003

I was thinking dead algae but that's what had me puzzled was why I could not vacuume it up and be done if it's not a growing problem?

8. Back To Top    #8

Because it likely is a growing problem! Trust me... been there! Don't add all that pool store stuff. You just need bleach and the SLAM procedure as described on this forum.
    Kelly, Tampa FL
    Intex 120V Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump & Saltwater System CG-28679 with E.C.O.
    TF100 Kit and Speedstir

9. Back To Top    #9

Dead algae comes from live algae. You're getting live algae at some point and then it dies. Full Slam followed by very consistent fc levels that never go below recommend levels is the best course of action.

10. Back To Top    #10

I'm slamming now and will continue. Have been pretty good about keeping the chlorine between 4-7 and with a cya that dropped to 30 I know that my chlorine levels have been good. How do I get rid of the dead algae since filtering had not seemed to work?

11. Back To Top    #11

Brush, brush, brush. Keep that stuff floating so your filter can remove it. Vacuum when you can, and slam as per the instructions in Pool School.
    Kelly, Tampa FL
    TF100 Kit and Speedstir

12. Back To Top    #12

Please add your pool info to your signature so that we can better help you. More here on what to add and how to do it, Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

If you have a sand filter you can add some DE to help it better filter out the dead algae.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach