Clean or replace Intex cartridge?

fralo

Aug 25, 2016
Pace/FL
I just bought a 22' ft. Intex pool and clean my cartridge frequently. While battling a slightly cloudy pool I began to think that I may need to replace the cartridge even though I clean it regularly with my hose.

So even if I clean it often, do I still need to replace? If so, how often?

Thank you.

If the cartridge itself is not torn or shows any sign of physical damage, it's probably still good. Your biggest challenge with the Intex-type filters is they are a bit small and have a limited capacity, so frequent cleaning may be the norm for you. Still, a good steady high-pressure nozzle rinse should be fine. The best thing you can do, if not already, is ensure the water chemistry is good by testing with a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C. While the filter is designed to catch physical debris (bugs, leaves, etc), it's not designed to kill or clear algae. By testing your water properly, you will take a lot of stress off of your filter by having clear/sanitized water.

This summer I've only used two cartridges - cartridges from Walmart (Summer Escapes?)

When I changed the cartridge the first time, I took the used one, rinsed it out real well in the laundry tub then dumped it in a bucket of hot water with some Oxyclean. Weighed that critter down with a full bottle of bleach to hold it under water. Left it overnight (or a couple days if I forgot....). Rinsed it out good again, and left it in the dry bucket until I needed it. I change the cartridge maybe once a week.

Even though my pool is pretty clear, everytime I clean the filter I notice the water in the pump does appear somewhat milky, although it's improving. Which Unicel filter will work with my 2500G Intex pump?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.