Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Clean or replace Intex cartridge?

1. Back To Top    #1

Clean or replace Intex cartridge?

I just bought a 22' ft. Intex pool and clean my cartridge frequently. While battling a slightly cloudy pool I began to think that I may need to replace the cartridge even though I clean it regularly with my hose.

So even if I clean it often, do I still need to replace? If so, how often?

Thank you.
    22' Intex AG - 12K Gallons
    Model 633T Cartridge Pump
    August 17, 2016

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Clean or replace Intex cartridge?

If the cartridge itself is not torn or shows any sign of physical damage, it's probably still good. Your biggest challenge with the Intex-type filters is they are a bit small and have a limited capacity, so frequent cleaning may be the norm for you. Still, a good steady high-pressure nozzle rinse should be fine. The best thing you can do, if not already, is ensure the water chemistry is good by testing with a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C. While the filter is designed to catch physical debris (bugs, leaves, etc), it's not designed to kill or clear algae. By testing your water properly, you will take a lot of stress off of your filter by having clear/sanitized water.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Exactly what Texas Splash said. I would however replace the Intex cartridge with a Unicel cartridge. They seem to work much better at collecting the fine particles (dead algae?) that are causing the cloudiness.
    Intex Ultra Frame 26'x52"
    Intex 2,500 gal/hr pump with Unicel cartridge filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

I generally get a season (almost 2) out of my Unicel or Filbur cartridges. I rinse them weekly and they work great
    16x48 Summer Escapes Pro-Series Above Ground frame pool, 5000 gal, Intex sand filter - Looking for heating solutions for AGPs

5. Back To Top    #5

This summer I've only used two cartridges - cartridges from Walmart (Summer Escapes?)

When I changed the cartridge the first time, I took the used one, rinsed it out real well in the laundry tub then dumped it in a bucket of hot water with some Oxyclean. Weighed that critter down with a full bottle of bleach to hold it under water. Left it overnight (or a couple days if I forgot....). Rinsed it out good again, and left it in the dry bucket until I needed it. I change the cartridge maybe once a week.
    Suzy
    Intex Metal Frame Pool - 15' x 48" - 4440 gallons, with the Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter Pump 1500 gph
    Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System - 7000 gallons. TF-100 test kit
    Installed June 2014 - complete newbie to pool ownership

6. Back To Top    #6

Even though my pool is pretty clear, everytime I clean the filter I notice the water in the pump does appear somewhat milky, although it's improving. Which Unicel filter will work with my 2500G Intex pump?
    22' Intex AG - 12K Gallons
    Model 633T Cartridge Pump
    August 17, 2016

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by fralo View Post
    Even though my pool is pretty clear, everytime I clean the filter I notice the water in the pump does appear somewhat milky, although it's improving. Which Unicel filter will work with my 2500G Intex pump?
    I will check the number tonight. I have the same filter you have.
    Intex Ultra Frame 26'x52"
    Intex 2,500 gal/hr pump with Unicel cartridge filter.

8. Back To Top    #8

Measure the height

8" Tall >> Type A or UNICEL C-4607 or Filbur FC-3710
    10" Tall >> Type B or UNICEL C-5315
    16x48 Summer Escapes Pro-Series Above Ground frame pool, 5000 gal, Intex sand filter - Looking for heating solutions for AGPs

9. Back To Top    #9

I guess I've been a little over diligent then because I put a new filter in at least once a week... I plan to switch to sand for next year if all goes as planned but if not at least I know I'll save money on cartridges now!
    Windy ☆ 22ft round, 11,400 gal, intex ag vinyl, SF70110-1 Intex sand filter/2800 gph pump, CS8110 intex swg, city water, solar heater, TF100 test kit/speed stirrer, over the wall intex skimmer~fall river ks~SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math