Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best way to scrape calcium deposits off plaster-- pumice stone or something else?

1. Back To Top    #1

Best way to scrape calcium deposits off plaster-- pumice stone or something else?

Hi. I have areas of my plaster pool that have calcium deposits on it. Nothing serious, but little tiny pebbles (maybe the size of a pinhead or maybe slightly larger).

I tried the wire brush that I got with the pool, but that does not do anything. I bought pumice stones online, but maybe I bought the wrong ones, but they seem to disintegrate in the water as I am scrubbing (is that normal)?

What other type of stone can I use to get the calcium off but will not harm the plaster? Thanks
    32,500 gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Pentair Propane Heater, Pentair Racer robot cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best way to scrape calcium deposits off plaster-- pumice stone or something else?

Yes, it is normal for a pumice stone to leave behind lots of pumice. You can use wet/dry sandpaper.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Best way to scrape calcium deposits off plaster-- pumice stone or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Yes, it is normal for a pumice stone to leave behind lots of pumice. You can use wet/dry sandpaper.
    Hi. What grit do you recommend? Thanks
    32,500 gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Pentair Propane Heater, Pentair Racer robot cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

80 to 100 grit
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach