Need Help - stenner selection and setup for full chlorine automation

Gigem94

Gold Supporter
Sep 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I've searched all the 'stenner' TFP threads and would like some advice on the proper stenner setup to get. Can any folks who have travelled this path help me as I make the switch from pucks to liquid chlorine automation please.

Background:
Current pool readings (using my taylor 2006 kit):
FC 27.5
CC .5
pH 7.8
TA 150
CH 275
CYA 140

I know my CYA/FC is high and I'm about to drain/refill and get all back in balance with lower numbers. Just fired my pool service tech today. I will manually get my chems balanced but want to prepare in buying the right gear to be more automated. I should know my chlorine demand within the next month. I wouldn't think I need to wait until then to identify and buy the gear.

I have no automation on any of my equipment and have intermatic mechanical timers (one for main pump and one unused which used to service Polaris) which I think are 240V (I can measure later). All of my pool equipment is on the backside of my garage, and I have easy access to 120v outlet on other side of wall.

I Think I Need:
After researching the threads, it seems like the 45MPHP10 with rain hat and 1/4 black tube (UV protection) is what I need along with the grey 15gal container. I plan to use a timer to dump at 2-3 times a day and have yet to figure out what I need here.
- can someone confirm this is the right gear for a full setup?
- does one company have a kit that contains all I need to make this setup work?
- Is it possible to plug the pump into a timer with a schedule and that timer plugs into to a 120 outlet? If so, what make/model works? If not, what is a reliable timer?

How to plumb:
I believe I need to tap the chlorine output line into after all equipment on the return line. A few questions here:
- I assume I need to install a chlorine resistant check valve to protect my gear?
- Can I tap the line to install the chlorine output line or should I just install a T and install the chlorine line in the T (since I have to install the check valve)?

Thanks in advance for the advice and guidance.

Your pool is the same size as mine and I have the exact same setup. Currently running mine 50 min/day (2x25min) which adds 2ppm to the pool using 8.25%. Peak summer I add a 3rd cycle per day. I bought from Locke Well & Pump, had everything I needed shipped to my door for $400. Pump was even pre-installed on the tank. You don't need the official Stenner tank which is quite pricey, almost any PVC tank will do.

I have mine plugged into a switched outlet controlled by my automation, but have seen several others use external timers. I think any outdoor timer works, seen Woods timers mentioned (don't recall model numbers sorry). You could wire an outlet to be switched using that unused mechanical timer and plug the Stenner into that. Your choice, either would work fine. Only thing with two separate timers is to make sure they are synced so you inject only while your pool pump is running.

Yes you should inject after all the equipment and you should have a check valve after your equipment but before the injection point. You can do either; drill and tap (best to do at an elbow or other fitting where there is a thicker wall), or install a reducer tee, Lowes sells one that is 2"S x 2"S x 1/2" FPT. Again your choice either should work fine if done properly, depends on your relative confidence between drilling/tapping or working with PVC.

Hope this all helps happy to provide more guidance as you get down the line.

I have the same pump and a slightly larger pool. Bought it from locke well and pump. I run mine twice a day for 15 minutes at a time feeding 8.25% great value bleach and find myself going over target often. But I'm happy with my stenner pump, and mostly happy with my Wiion timer that controls it.

As for 110 or 220 volts, I'd get whichever you already have a convenient place to plug into. In other words, if you don't already have a 220v outlet you can plug the stenner into, but do already have a 110, then get the 110, even if your intermatic timer is 220v. The Wiion wifi timer I mentioned having is a 110v timer that you program via iPhone. It is cheap and gets the job done.

Fancy! I'll look into that. I have a couple available 110V outlets with my pool equipment.

I have the same pump and a slightly larger pool. Bought it from locke well and pump. I run mine twice a day for 15 minutes at a time feeding 8.25% great value bleach and find myself going over target often. But I'm happy with my stenner pump, and mostly happy with my Wiion timer that controls it.

As for 110 or 220 volts, I'd get whichever you already have a convenient place to plug into. In other words, if you don't already have a 220v outlet you can plug the stenner into, but do already have a 110, then get the 110, even if your intermatic timer is 220v. The Wiion wifi timer I mentioned having is a 110v timer that you program via iPhone. It is cheap and gets the job done.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.