Order of adjustments to pool chemistry

Jul 20, 2016
Boca Raton, FL
I have often read that you should not add two chemicals to your pool at once, so I am wondering if there is a proper order of operations for adjusting pool chemistry?

I think I read about this in one of the Pool School articles, but I cannot seem to find it.

For example, if my PH is out of balance and my Free Chlorine is too low, which should I adjust first? Should I wait a day between adjusting one and adjusting the other?

Thanks.

Most chemicals can be added at the same time. The exception is when using muriatic acid (MA) and liquid chlorine/bleach. You should wait at least a half an hour between those additions as together they can create dangerous fumes. If pH is significantly out of balance, or you are preparing for a slam, do that add first. Otherwise, do FC first.

As mentioned, chlorine and muriatic acid should never be added, nor stored together. The fumes created are very toxic.

I usually wait 30 minutes with the pump running between any chemical additions, and when adding items that do not dissipate, like calcium or CYA, I will add half of the amount I need, retest in 30 minutes then add the remainder needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.