TA Drop Normal?

Jul 10, 2014
Baton Rouge, LA
I started up my plaster pool (see sig for more details) on 7/4/16 and recently finished doing a SLAM after a big storm that threw all my levels off. I run a DEL Ozone EC-20 as my primary sanitation method and 10% LC for residual main body secondary sanitation (hence my low FC targets). I check FC, pH and TA daily and CH and CYA at least weekly, sometimes more often. Recent records shown below. As with any new plaster job, I have been adding acid just about daily to maintain my pH around 7.3-7.8. In doing this, I've noticed my TA steadily drops causing me to have to add baking soda every week to 10 days to get it back within the TFP recommended range. My question is, is this normal or should I be trying to troubleshoot something?

Note: Just yesterday I added a considerable amount (more than normal) of acid while cleaning off calcium deposits on various stones around the pool, hence the spike (drop) in pH.

Put your numbers into pool math and it will tell you how much to expect.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think the poster's question is about the behavior of his two-month old plaster - i.e. whether the chemical demands are normal or not.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable about plaster will be along soon. Judging from other threads I've seen, I think it's not unusual for new plaster to take quite a number of months to settle into its 'mature' chemistry; but I know relatively little about this area of pool care, so wait for a more expert opinion.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.