My pool is a swamp

Aug 3, 2016
Hudson, WI
Hi all - I am a newly single mom and new maintainer for pool we have owned for years. Have been doing ok with pool maintenance for the summer, but travelling alot the past couple weeks w/kiddos and it got away from me. Came home today to a pea green mess. We have an above ground 18x34, Doheney's above ground pool pump, sand filter, and automatic chlorinator (turned off because CYA was elevated to 100 at end of July). My FC and TC are at 0 and pH elevated at 8.2. Here are all my numbers as of 7 pm tonight:

FC = 0
CC = 0
TC = 0
pH = 8.2
CH = 540
TA = 120
CYA = 50

Insult to injury is the fact that the weather is cool enough and pool is not heated, that we will not likely swim in it again this season. However, my assumption is that I should stabilize it and bring it back to blue before closing. I added AlkaMinus from Menards tonight to bring pH down. How long after adding that can I begin to add chlorine? (guessing I should wait til morning and test pH again). I have 8.25% chlorine - also from Menards, 8 jugs for now. Pool math recommends 7.5 jugs to bring to shock level. I will have to get more chlorine tomorrow. I know its not great to add chlorine during daylight hours, but wondering if it makes a difference if it is a cloudy day?

Am I on the right track? I also have a box of shock packets from Sams Club. Should I use those instead of the liquid chlorine? And what about an algaecide (I have a large jug of it in the garage)? Just trying to figure out the most cost efficient way to tackle this problem and potentially use stuff I already have.

Finally, when should I do the closing process? Live in Wisconsin and nights are getting into the low 50s now. Days are low 70s. Light rain for next couple of days.

Thanks for any advice.

I would use the liquid chlorine, and try not to use the shock bags. they add cya. if your cya gets much higher your FC will also need to be much higher to be effective. the shock bags can also add combined chlorine.

normally you would use Murionic acid to lower ph, but this yr I was using chlorox ph reducer to lower ours just because I already had it from last yr. I haven't heard of it being bad to add chlorine during the day. with your cya level where it is, should be fine either way. you shouldn't have any FC loss with a 50 cya.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.