Pool Pump Replumbing Question

Jul 20, 2015
North Carolina
So I have a question about the proper installation of above-ground pool plumbing. The setup that came with the pool was working okay, I guess. It consists of a 1 1/2" line from the skimmer to a shutoff valve and then to a T-junction. The floor drain is a 1 1/2" line that runs to a shutoff valve and then to that same T-junction and then on to the pump (the attached sketch makes it a lot clearer). The on/off valves were a little hard to get to and would sometimes be a little hard to turn.

Recently, the lower valve broke so I thought this would be a good time to replumb it. I saw a couple people that have plumbed their pools using a diverter valve. I like the idea of this because it cuts down on the amount of parts. I can have full pressure control of both inputs or shut them both off completely. I also like that I can adjust the pressure of both inputs while still being in the pool (perfect for when I'm vacuuming and need the added suction). I've included a sketch of how I'm thinking it should be plumbed. Can someone please tell me if I'd run into any problems with this setup.

I live in North Carolina so we do get some freezes during the Winter. Which brings me to my biggest concern, blowing the lines when winterizing. I've yet to do it on this pool, but everyone online says that you should. Is it necessary? Can I just use my little air compressor? If I'm thinking right, I should be able to set the diverter valve to closed, and then attach a threaded air line to the hole right above the bottom shutoff valve, turn the compressor on until bubbles start coming out of the floor drain, close the bottom shutoff valve and then quickly turn off the compressor. Is this correct? Is there a better way to do this? What size air compressor would I need to be about to do this to a 16k pool?

I look forward to hearing everyone's feedback/recommendations. If I left off any necessary info, let me know.

Notes 1.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.