Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best Winter Cover - Cold Climate

1. Back To Top    #1

Best Winter Cover - Cold Climate

We need to start thinking about a cover for our pool and our PB is recommending Loop-Loc as the best option, followed by a solid cover with water bags that would need to be pumped, which is significantly cheaper. We will have one cover for the pool and a separate cover for the spa so that it can stay open later in the season.

Any recommendations, rants, or raves about your pool cover? Anything we should consider before purchasing?
    Pool + Spa in MA -- 40' x 16' gunite pool, 8' x 8' spa with spillover. PebbleSheen Ocean Blue. Vibrance Glass Nero 2" x 2" tile. SWG, Paramount in-floor cleaning system, 400 BTU Sta-Rite LP Gas Heater, ACT1500 Heat Pump, S7M120 Sta-Rite Modular Media Filter, IntelliPro XF 3.0 HP Pump, SuperMAX VS 2.2 HP Pump, AquaLink automation. LP gas firepit. 1700 sf stamped concrete patio.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best Winter Cover - Cold Climate

I can't help as I am looking also. We live in Long Island. Lots of trees and snow. Hope someone helps.
    Inground 30x60 vinyl W/2 French ends w/sitting spa. Built 2007. 2016 pentair electric 140 heat pump. Pentair VS-SVRS pump. System 3 modular filter SM series S7m120

3. Back To Top    #3

I think we're on our 11th year with a Loop-Loc & it looks new.
    We're on Long Island NY and have had our share on bad weather over the years!
    At times there must have been 3-4(or more) feet of snow & ice on the cover
    One thing to note is the we had the pool closed for 8+ years with the Loop-loc installed the entire time exposed to everything mother nature could throw at it.
    I strongly recommend it.
    IG Tear Drop, Dark Gray Gunite , 27,000 gallons -Age 50+-years, very old Hayward Split Egg Sand Filter with side mount Multi-port- Hayward SP2600VSP Pump- Hayward chlorine feed (not used since finding TFP) - Laars 315K BTU Oil heater- LoopLoc Safety cover- AquaBot RAPIDS 4WD- TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir- 390 Gal Hot Springs Spa Envoy installed May 2017

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by EVChargeGuy View Post
    I think we're on our 11th year with a Loop-Loc & it looks new.
    We're on Long Island NY and have had our share on bad weather over the years!
    At times there must have been 3-4(or more) feet of snow & ice on the cover
    One thing to note is the we had the pool closed for 8+ years with the Loop-loc installed the entire time exposed to everything mother nature could throw at it.
    I strongly recommend it.
    Hi, we also live in Long Island - east Quogue and looking for a winter cover. Is your cover a solid or smart mesh? Thanks.
    Inground 30x60 vinyl W/2 French ends w/sitting spa. Built 2007. 2016 pentair electric 140 heat pump. Pentair VS-SVRS pump. System 3 modular filter SM series S7m120

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Marty D View Post
    Hi, we also live in Long Island - east Quogue and looking for a winter cover. Is your cover a solid or smart mesh? Thanks.
    Not sure of 'Model type' but the cover allows water to pass threw it, I'm guessing it's a smart mesh.
    Some pine needles will get threw it but it keeps everything else out

IMG_0162.jpg
    IG Tear Drop, Dark Gray Gunite , 27,000 gallons -Age 50+-years, very old Hayward Split Egg Sand Filter with side mount Multi-port- Hayward SP2600VSP Pump- Hayward chlorine feed (not used since finding TFP) - Laars 315K BTU Oil heater- LoopLoc Safety cover- AquaBot RAPIDS 4WD- TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir- 390 Gal Hot Springs Spa Envoy installed May 2017

6. Back To Top    #6

Those types of covers are the best way to go, at least in my opinion. They are safer and less unsightly than solid covers. They let water through so when you uncover in the spring you will likely have to pump water out as it will likely be full to the brim and slightly rebalance stuff like CYA and salt (if you have a SWCG).
    Vinyl 18'x36' in-ground 100,000 L, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, Jandy Lite2 heater, StaRite System3 filter, Evac tube solar heating panels

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by EVChargeGuy View Post
    Not sure of 'Model type' but the cover allows water to pass threw it, I'm guessing it's a smart mesh.
    Some pine needles will get threw it but it keeps everything else out

IMG_0162.jpg
    Is there a tool to use to put the cover on and off for those springs ? What is the name ? I need to get one.

8. Back To Top    #8

16 x 32 18,000 gal IG vinyl pool. 1.5HP SuperFlo VS pump. Hayward C4030 425 sq ft cartridge filter. Hotspot FPH heat reclamation pool heater.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for all of the recommendations. Looks like the Loop-Loc is the way to go. Now to figure out when to close the pool...
    Pool + Spa in MA -- 40' x 16' gunite pool, 8' x 8' spa with spillover. PebbleSheen Ocean Blue. Vibrance Glass Nero 2" x 2" tile. SWG, Paramount in-floor cleaning system, 400 BTU Sta-Rite LP Gas Heater, ACT1500 Heat Pump, S7M120 Sta-Rite Modular Media Filter, IntelliPro XF 3.0 HP Pump, SuperMAX VS 2.2 HP Pump, AquaLink automation. LP gas firepit. 1700 sf stamped concrete patio.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Marty D View Post
    Is there a tool to use to put the cover on and off for those springs ? What is the name ? I need to get one.
    My Loop-Loc cover came with the tool with an Allen key stored in the tool. Getting a T handle Allen key or drill bit is the way to go.

Edit: sry Marty, thought you were the OP -OOP's

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Merlin SmartMesh is the competition. Pretty much the same thing just less well known.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!