Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Must I shock?

1. Back To Top    #1

Must I shock?

I've had my pool open since April 1st, here in Atlanta. My numbers have been consistent.

FC:7
    PH:7.4
    TA:90
    CH:200
    CYA:70
    I'm getting ready to close for winter..(30-45) days...disconnected SWG in March...so I have been following CYA/Chlorine levels for non-SWG pool...the pool has been great. My questions...
    Pool Calculator says to bring my pool to 28 to Shock the pool...wait 24 hours and check. Then wait another day and a half..wait to FC is about half...then add Polyquat 60 and Mix for 1/2-1 hour.
    My pool has been CRYSTAL Clear all summer. Can I skip the Shock step..Just bring my FC from 7 to 14 add the polyquat and procede to follow the closing procedures you annotated on the sticky..or am I being foolish?
    20K, IG, new Merlin vinyl liner, sand, Triton Tr-60, Eco-Pump EP-6, 1.5hp, Taylor TF-100
    Test kit, Compupool CPSC 24 SWG, city water, built in 1979.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Must I shock?

Go ahead and shock. May not be 100% necessary but you could easily regret it you have organics once you close.
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Re: Must I shock?

Have you thought about keeping it open? Myself and a few others in our area have done it for a few years now and it sure makes spring swimming much easier. We'll swim in ours until mid October so it's not too much down time.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir