Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Must I shock?

1. Back To Top    #1

Marietta, Ga

Must I shock?

I've had my pool open since April 1st, here in Atlanta. My numbers have been consistent.

I'm getting ready to close for winter..(30-45) days...disconnected SWG in I have been following CYA/Chlorine levels for non-SWG pool...the pool has been great. My questions...
    Pool Calculator says to bring my pool to 28 to Shock the pool...wait 24 hours and check. Then wait another day and a half..wait to FC is about half...then add Polyquat 60 and Mix for 1/2-1 hour.
    My pool has been CRYSTAL Clear all summer. Can I skip the Shock step..Just bring my FC from 7 to 14 add the polyquat and procede to follow the closing procedures you annotated on the sticky..or am I being foolish?
    20K, IG, new Merlin vinyl liner, sand, Triton Tr-60, Eco-Pump EP-6, 1.5hp, Taylor TF-100
    Test kit, Compupool CPSC 24 SWG, city water, built in 1979.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Amelia Island, FL

Re: Must I shock?

Go ahead and shock. May not be 100% necessary but you could easily regret it you have organics once you close.
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide
    Dallas Ga

Re: Must I shock?

Have you thought about keeping it open? Myself and a few others in our area have done it for a few years now and it sure makes spring swimming much easier. We'll swim in ours until mid October so it's not too much down time.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me) Goldline SWG Intermec 104 TImer Test kit K-2006-C